Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Should I stick it out through December?? >

Should I stick it out through December??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should I stick it out through December??

Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

You don't know if you don't go.

Hunt unless you won't enjoy it, then stay home until the urge strikes. It will.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck yeah you should. I spent the whole archey season chasing elk or lack there of. Also 4 weeks of rifle season. Didn't see a single elk. Fri I shot the only elk I saw the whole season on public land. I didn't want to go out but my buddies told me you can't give up becuase you just never know. If I stayed home I wouldn't have shot a elk of a lifetime. Get out there.
Attached Thumbnails Should I stick it out through December??-elk_2.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Oh man.. how familiar is this to me...

Stick it out and hold tight.. That's what hunting is all about... if it was easy, it wouldn't be called hunting.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kenified06
I'm still happy to be in the woods I'd hunt year round if I could. Just this one deer has had me Ignoring my other hunting areas and putting to much focus on just him with no results. The area Im hunting this deer is a secluded 20 acre field. With about 20 acres of thin hardwood on one side. On the other sides of the property is thick pine, laural and everything nice to bag a monster. Problem is I do no own any of that land where the bedding, staging, and big boy rutting takes place. All I can do is hunt the feeding area and wait for something to slip up.. They rarely do. I have never heard a shot over on the other property so I was thinking about asking for permission to bow hunt it next year. I really am in the dark without being able to set cameras in the key areas over there. As far as my doe population coming into the field, there is about 10 mature does, 4 yearling does, 3 button bucks. They are the regulars in the evening. From the summer and the pictures I do have of bucks this fall I have 12 different bucks on camera. I don't know if any does would need to be taken at this time.
Seems to me like yer boy may have you pegged... You may have to change things up a bit... But I'd say stick with it.

With all those does around chances are one or more of them were not bred in the primary breeding phase... If that's the case they will come into estrous again.

It looks like you may be getting hit with the storm system that's burying us right now. If you are, and you know where yer boys scrape line is, hunt it after the system passes threw.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Spike

Hunting is just a numbers game. The more you are in your stand, the more chances you will have to see him.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

January 15th

I had a really bad season and hadn't killed a deer yet. The last week I killed this buck and several does

Last edited by rockport; 12-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.