Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got any field dressing tips?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

This is a little procedure I set up a few years ago now. Still may be of some use.

www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/gutting.html
Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
yeah thats what i was saying, you said if i needed to cut the anus i was using the butttool wrong, but you still have to make some kind of cut to get it all free so it comes out with the guts, we are on the same page
Nope, no additional cuts. The spikes on the tool grab it and pull it out.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mods - how does this guy have 66 posts?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=7.62NATO;4104236]Nope, no additional cuts. The spikes on the tool grab it and pull it out.[/QUOTE

when i use mine it pulls it out to be tied off (using the spikes), but its not completely free--i still have to make some cuts so it will come away with the guts. Youre saying when you use it, it pulls it out and frees it from the deer too? what am i doing wrong

do you split the pelvis when you gut? i dont so maybe thats the difference
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=scottycoyote;4104528]
Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Nope, no additional cuts. The spikes on the tool grab it and pull it out.[/QUOTE

when i use mine it pulls it out to be tied off (using the spikes), but its not completely free--i still have to make some cuts so it will come away with the guts. Youre saying when you use it, it pulls it out and frees it from the deer too? what am i doing wrong

do you split the pelvis when you gut? i dont so maybe thats the difference
Yes, that is what I am saying. It is completely free once I pull it out and tie it off. It pulls right back through when I finish gutting without any cutting around the anus.

I don't split the pelvis at any time, even when quartering.

I am just not sure what you could be doing "wrong" though. Maybe your deer just have bigger anuses than the ones I shoot.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

1. I know it sounds strange but cattle artificial insemination gloves are awesome. These gloves are the best to have when you're field dressing a deer. I keep two or three pairs in my pack. They run the length of you entire arm. Nothing worse that driving home with gut smell on your sleeve. Not my idea, I learned it from a guide when I went to Wyoming once.

http://www.enasco.com/product/C30309N

2. A solid head lamp (petzel tikka, princeton, etc etc) is an absolute must for doing it at night.

3. Deer and other animals similar to deer have more organ attachments on their left side vice their right. If possible, dress left side up.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=7.62NATO;4104537]
Originally Posted by scottycoyote

Yes, that is what I am saying. It is completely free once I pull it out and tie it off. It pulls right back through when I finish gutting without any cutting around the anus.

I don't split the pelvis at any time, even when quartering.

I am just not sure what you could be doing "wrong" though. Maybe your deer just have bigger anuses than the ones I shoot.
did you just call my deer big *******s, how dare you sir!!!!!lol
Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried this and it worked out pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cx2FwjHTsA