Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your antlers/somebody elses cape? >

Your antlers/somebody elses cape?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your antlers/somebody elses cape?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your antlers/somebody elses cape?

I have a couple of racks that I kind of regret not getting mounted, they're not big racks, but they are still decent bow kills. I was wondering if having them mounted with somebody elses cape will bother me or not? I'm still on the fence with it.
I'm curious if this would bother anyone else in this situation, or is a cape a cape, since the rack is yours?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd prefer the real cape but not having it won't stop me from getting a mount done.

I have one that had been grazed across the neck. I shot an old scrappy buck(mature 7 pointer) the next year and used the cape so I shot the rack and the cape....they just didn't come together.

Now with an old grey face black cap deer I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't use the original.

I keep all my capes so if I need one I can still use one of my own.

Last edited by rockport; 11-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

First let me say that I'm certainly no expert on this subject.

That said, I have to wonder if, aside from the racks themselves, would the mounts look anything at all like the deer you actually killed? If you look at pics of different deer it's easy to tell the differences between them.

But then again, maybe if you have enough good pics of the deer, a good taxidermist could pull if off
Old 11-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

In my hunting group, we've "donated" a couple capes to our taxidermist. He takes care of us (great work & a great price) - so we don't mind tossing him a cape when we can. I know a couple of them have been used for guys who let deer sit too long, or sit on a garage floor (mice) and other damaged capes.

**** happens, and sometimes someone is in dire need of a cape.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about mounting a deer I turned down mounting in the past with someone else's cape. That's a bit if a different story...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Spike

A friend of mine will, on occasion, use a different cape for a different set of antlers. A couple hunters just recently left their capes out in the rain and another cape was freezer burnt (and sometimes the cape was skinned too short). He first does what he can with them, but if it just won't work out then he subs the cape for another one.

Its hard of the taxidermists when hunters don't take care of their capes and expect the taxidermist to work miracles with them.

Last edited by KonKata; 11-27-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have one mounted with someone's elses cape and I have absolutely no problem with it!!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm having one done this way right now. 3 years ago I took my father deer hunting in FL. He got a really nice 6 pt whitetail which was cool since he was a mulie hunter from CO. As far as I know that was the first and only whitetail he ever shot. He was never what you would call a trophy hunter so he just cut the antlers off and put them over a rafter in the barn with all the others.

We didn't know it at the time, but that was the last time I would ever hunt deer with him. Two months after that hunt he fell out of the back of his truck and broke his right femur. When that healed, they found lung cancer. I lost him last Sept. 29. So, I contacted some people in FL and have nade arrangements for a replacement cape. I'm having Dad's last buck mounted in the sneak position because that was how the buck was standing when he shot it. My family has a cabin and the deer will be hung on the wall above the chair Dad always sat in when he was there. I think this is fitting

For what it is worth, if you want capes, go to www.taxidermy.net and register for an account. Like all forums, it is free. Then you can post exactly what you're looking for. There are a lot of people that supply capes and they don't cost much.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

jeez yall take this to serious, mount the darn thing and hang it on the wall.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

So does it bother you that the "meat" under the cape is somebody else's styrofoam? I would guess you would say "no". Same goes for the cape - taxidermists use other capes all the time to patch or fix damaged capes. Do it and don't give it another thought.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Spike

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I got my biggest buck ever a few years ago. He had a large neck on him and a short wide nose for his size. I got the mount back and was instantly sick to my stomach. I just gave him the money and walked out with my poor interpretation of my buck. The mount's neck was as skinny as a doe and the nose looks fake it's so long. I really want to have it redone, but definitely by a different taxidermist. So I will have to use a different cape. I would prefer to use a cape from a deer that I shot, but I'd also like the buck to look they way it did when it was alive. The funny thing is he showed a lot of his previous work and it was great. Even saw some pics of the deer he mounted before they were mounted and they looked very close. My dad took a buck to this guy a year before and he did a great job.

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 11-29-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.