Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Neighbor Problems

Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Murby, I'm not worried about the larceny of our venison haha. I'm just thinking that if they don't know about what we've got then it may lessen their attempt at cutting us off and focusing on other parts of their land. This may sound a bit paranoid, but with the popularity of social media, we also fear that the wrong people may see these photos and trespass/poach on our property. We only feel this way because this it was a big issue several years ago. We blocked off some of the ways people were accessing our land and it eventually stopped.
There's no logic in that thought... Once a deer has been taken, it is no longer there and thus no motive...
Now if you were broadcasting photos from your trail camera, that I could understand..

But just because someone takes a buck on your property does not by any means indicate there is another there that is equal or greater.

If I told you I was walking down 5th street and found a $50 bill on the sidewalk, would you go to where I found it and look for more? What if I found only $5 or as much as $50K?

I understand it is a bit different, but not by much. Bucks don't congregate at the local bar or have a favorite tree they hang around.. They roam like teenagers looking for a piece of azz..

Furthermore, the fact that the two property lines are, in fact, just one line, the OP is more or less hunting the same exact population as his neighbor is.. unless we're talking about a property line that stretches several miles, but I doubt that's the case here.

Without regard to the above statements, my original thought still stands as the best advice.. Go coordinate with the neighbor and draft him into your team so that you have influence.. Sharing the harvest and only taking half is much better than going to war and getting nothing...
Old 11-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Set up a dummy blind where they can easily see it and let them fool around there while you quietly hunt another place. Frankly, if they are setting up on their own property or on property they have permission to hunt, there isn't much you can do about their stand placement as long as it isn't on your land. It may be rude, but it ain't illegal.

As to the trespassing, if I knew where they were driving the ATVs onto the property, I'd be thinking about burying a couple boards with nails driven through them on your side of the property line. 4 flats may make them think about not doing it again. If they moved a corner post, go to the county courthouse and get the legal description of the property boundaries and be sure you're right. If you are, move the post back where it should be and make sure it is made of metal and set in concrete. Then take a photo of it to show it is in the legal place. if they move it again, call the law. It goes without saying if your land isn't posted, do so right now!
100% agree...get it surveyed, posted...call the sheriff for trespassing violations...If they get mad their atv's got punctured tires tell them to quit trespassing...

I have neighbors to my north that are PIA...they seem like Eco terrorist tree huggers that don't want the deer killed. they try ruining my hunts all the time. by making noise...they are two-faced as well...because I'm 99.9% positive they stole my game camera off MY property...although I couldn't prove it...I had foot prints coming from their property to mine...
So anyways I still hunt anyway...We've taken couple deer this year off my property...that's all that matters to me..
Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
I agree with Murby that you should have a civil discussion after the season and before the next season. I do agree that " no trespassing" signs along with good boundry stakes will also help your position. If you are mad/pee-od when you go to see them it will not help and only hurt your position.

CVG Ohio
They aren't civil enough to leave you alone so why even bother talking to them...IMO..

Id just get as far away from them on your property and set it up for hunting there, I woulndt even tell them what you are doing..have a decoy blind and maybe put a mannequin in there with some hunter orange on so while they try messing it up for your mannequin you can be hunting elsewhere on your property.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
As to the trespassing, if I knew where they were driving the ATVs onto the property, I'd be thinking about burying a couple boards with nails driven through them on your side of the property line. 4 flats may make them think about not doing it again.
That's about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.. Top 10 for STUPID for sure.

No offense meant but you have no idea what you are talking about.. My guess is that you don't own your own land or that you are a youngster in your teens or twenties who has more testosterone than brains at this young point in your life.

Your vigilante revenge attitude will do nothing but get you sued in a major way that would probably result in your insurance company denying your claim and your neighbor eventually owning your property.

If your neighbor tracks a deer onto your land and gets hurt by a booby-trap you've set, he can, and will, sue the living crap out of you and will win. And that might be the least of your worries as prison time might also be in the cards.

You'd probably end up on the front page of google news with that stunt...

NEWS FLASH: Ten year old boy looking for his lost 3 legged dog dies due to vigilante neighbor setting death traps on his property..

Does that set off any warning lights for you?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Murby
That's about the dumbest idea I have ever heard.. Top 10 for STUPID for sure.

No offense meant but you have no idea what you are talking about.. My guess is that you don't own your own land or that you are a youngster in your teens or twenties who has more testosterone than brains at this young point in your life.

Your vigilante revenge attitude will do nothing but get you sued in a major way that would probably result in your insurance company denying your claim and your neighbor eventually owning your property.

If your neighbor tracks a deer onto your land and gets hurt by a booby-trap you've set, he can, and will, sue the living crap out of you and will win. And that might be the least of your worries as prison time might also be in the cards.

You'd probably end up on the front page of google news with that stunt...

NEWS FLASH: Ten year old boy looking for his lost 3 legged dog dies due to vigilante neighbor setting death traps on his property..

Does that set off any warning lights for you?
***FYI Flags is a 50 year old gentleman in the Armed Services in VA at the present time and is a CO native. Putting (losing, hehe!) a piece of wood down with nails in it on your own property like he mentioned isn't going to get him in trouble if someone else comes on there illegally since there is no way they would be able to prove it was there intentionally to do any harm to them or anyone else. I had a guy living next to my 20 acre hunting parcel up north back in the 80s that put up a makeshift fence along the property line using pieces of trees and he ran it wherever he felt like to gain property and take a blind of mine that was on my property. One day when I knew he and the wife were gone I tore the whole thing down and I never heard a word from him or had any more problems when he got the message that I was not going to screw around with his stupid, illegal antics!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess my land mine idea is out too?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:49 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
I guess my land mine idea is out too?
Yep. Pit traps yes, land mines no.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Years ago i that trouble with a trespasser riding his four wheeler on my property. He cut my fence and trespassed at will. One day i accosted the trepasser and he threatened me while on my property. i summarily arrested the idiot and held him at gun point for the county sheriff. The the guy had wants in TX for murder. He was extradited to TX for trial where he was found guilty and was sentenced to life. The four wheeler was left on my place and the judge awarded it to me for damage the guy caused to my property.

Last edited by falcon; 11-28-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Since you already got a nice buck... Go to the stand they set up beside and make some noise. Cut firewood, have a fireworks display, Set up a picnic table and have a picnic. They will move on if you drive them crazy enough.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=Murby;4102401]I don't get it.. Are you afraid they're going to sneak into your freezer and steal it?[/QUOTE

DUH!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
There's no logic in that thought... Once a deer has been taken, it is no longer there and thus no motive...
Now if you were broadcasting photos from your trail camera, that I could understand..

But just because someone takes a buck on your property does not by any means indicate there is another there that is equal or greater.

If I told you I was walking down 5th street and found a $50 bill on the sidewalk, would you go to where I found it and look for more? What if I found only $5 or as much as $50K?

I understand it is a bit different, but not by much. Bucks don't congregate at the local bar or have a favorite tree they hang around.. They roam like teenagers looking for a piece of azz..

Furthermore, the fact that the two property lines are, in fact, just one line, the OP is more or less hunting the same exact population as his neighbor is.. unless we're talking about a property line that stretches several miles, but I doubt that's the case here.

Without regard to the above statements, my original thought still stands as the best advice.. Go coordinate with the neighbor and draft him into your team so that you have influence.. Sharing the harvest and only taking half is much better than going to war and getting nothing...
I'd have to disagree with your analogy 100%.......Do $50 bills seek out certain habitats? Because mature bucks certainly do and they will absolutely be found year after year in these habitats. Nothing is etched in stone but certain areas will hold big bucks every year.
I hunt a 500 acre farm and Ive seen 3 monsters in the last 2 years...all 3 in the same small portion of the farm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.