Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Neighbor Problems

Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Spike

Default Help with Neighbor Problems

Hello all, this is my 1st time posting here. My family has been having some slight issues with our neighbors to our south. It seems as if they have been setting up tree stands to intentionally cut us off. Whenever we have a stand within 75 yards of the property line, they put one up directly south within 20 yards of the property line. Most recently they interrupted my hunt on opening morning. At 11am they came and set up a pop up blind directly south of me. For 20 minutes they were hauling branches to the blind. I know they saw me I had orange on. So I moved to the other side of the property and shot a nice 8point, so this time i guess I should thank them. They also ride their atvs on our property and recently moved our corner property post about 35 yards in their favor. What can we do?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

How much conversation have you engaged in?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Spike

We could try talking, but I'm not sure if it would help. There are 5 that hunt on their property and only 2 are the problem. They were run off their family farm because of their actions. The guys brother in law, who Is a family friend was with him when he installed the corner post in the wrong spot. He said he told him it was in the wrong spot, but he said he didn't care. This same guy put a tree stand directly over his father in laws blind and shot the buck he had been going for. His oldest son is the one that set his blind up by me on opening day. These aren't the most considerate people.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Spike

I had a similar problem with a neighbor accross from me with 4 wheelers. I sternly warned them...and I am mean sternly with a shotgun in hand. However, that didn't solve the the problem. I caught them a 2nd time and told them if I caught them again I was going to call the sherriff. For piece of mind a put up a barb wire fence and posted no tresspassing signs....problem no solved. It depends on your state, but if the property is not marked no tresspassing, you don't have much of a leg to stand on. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how much land you have, but maybe getting it surveyed and having property corner markers set might help? Yea, it sounds like you've got some real winners on your hands. It must be frustrating!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Set up a dummy blind where they can easily see it and let them fool around there while you quietly hunt another place. Frankly, if they are setting up on their own property or on property they have permission to hunt, there isn't much you can do about their stand placement as long as it isn't on your land. It may be rude, but it ain't illegal.

As to the trespassing, if I knew where they were driving the ATVs onto the property, I'd be thinking about burying a couple boards with nails driven through them on your side of the property line. 4 flats may make them think about not doing it again. If they moved a corner post, go to the county courthouse and get the legal description of the property boundaries and be sure you're right. If you are, move the post back where it should be and make sure it is made of metal and set in concrete. Then take a photo of it to show it is in the legal place. if they move it again, call the law. It goes without saying if your land isn't posted, do so right now!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Your neighbor has a right to do whatever he wants on his property.. You have the same right.
You must work within the confines of those rules.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Spike

I appreciate all the replies. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm well aware of the obvious. I know they can place stands wherever and do whatever on their own property. As for the atvs on our land, it's blatant trespassing and when they go 360 degrees around my stand while I'm in it is another story that happened years back. I am looking for a sportsmanlike solution to resolve these issues. We have been thinking about improving the north section of the property to draw them away from our south line. Any advice on this?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Spike

Dont show your cards too early in the season. Dont let them know where you will be setting up. Use a hang on or climber and take it down and put it up when you go in each time. Its a lot of work but it gives you the ability to be more agile on where you sit and it doesnt allow them to see where you are going to be sitting.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Banned

Mess up one of there hunts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.