Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Neighbor Problems

Old 11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Murby, the above scenario I gave about my land actually happened a few years ago.

Two brothers from a camp down the road tracked a wounded buck onto our property. When they finally lost the trail they walked off of the property on our logging road.

Even worse, latter that night I went to their camp to try and find out where they lost the trail, thinking I would try picking it up the next day... They couldn't give me a good description of the area where they lost the trail... Then one of the brothers told me that he had hung a beer can on some brush where they found the last sign of blood... Needless to say... I was one pizzed of MoFo!!!

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-29-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Murby, the above scenario I gave about my land actually happened a few years ago.

Two brothers from a camp down the road tracked a wounded buck onto our property. When they finally lost the trail they walked off of the property on our logging road.

Even worse, latter that night I went to their camp to try and find out where they lost the trail, thinking I would try picking it up the next day... They couldn't give me a good description of the area where they lost the trail... Then one of the brothers told me that he hung a beer can on some brush where they found the last sign of blood... Needless to say... I was one pizzed of MoFo!!!
I've never been so picky about someone walking across my land... If you're maliciously trespassing, I have a problem with that.. But if you're just tracking an animal you've already shot then I say tread lightly and leave no trace and I won't be a problem for you...

I would not have been happy with the beer can either.. There are plenty of easy ways to mark your path with natural materials, using garbage is not needed.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't care that they had tracked the deer onto our property, what pizzed me off was that they were drinking and hunting on my property!!!

I didn't talk to them again until the next Spring, at which time we had a long and serious discussion... I've become good friends with the eldest brother since then, and attend a yearly mid-season steak feed at their camp on the middle Saturday of our rifle season... Their camp cook grills an awesome steak!!!

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for people finding their deer but not without asking first.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I'm all for people finding their deer but not without asking first.
What if you're not around to ask?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Murby
Unfortunately you would have to wait. Or better yet come up with a plan ahead of time about how to get a hold of me.

What if I decide to shoot my rifle and don't know you are there?

What if I am trying to hunt?

What if my wife or daughter are out there changing into their hunting clothes?

When i catch you out there with a gun how do I know if your tracking or hunting?

I am a very strong advocate of being able to retrieve your game and I think it should be your right to do so but not without informing the land owner.

That basically makes trespassing legal when all you have to say is hey my deer ran this way if you get caught

unfortunately sometimes there is no perfect solution to a less than perfect situation.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
When i catch you out there with a gun how do I know if your tracking or hunting?
Ah! A very key issue you have there..

Whenever I am forced to trespass unannounced, I make it a point to leave the weapons behind.
1. This takes away any hunting suspicion.
2. If I do encounter some unreasonable property owner in a bad mood, I would think it is best for me to be unarmed so they don't feel threatened.

But then I am also a very considerate type of person and I try my best to minimize any intrusion or inconvenience to others.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whenever I am forced to trespass unannounced...
Forced to trespass unannounced? That's a new one. How are you "forced" to do anything? Did someone pull a gun on you? I'm 50 years old and have hunted all over the world and I've never seen a single situation where I was "forced" to trespass.

Admittedly, I don't hunt many places where property lines are a big deal but I do have the phone numbers of people that own land around where I do hunt. Most the time they already know we are hunting anyways. Personally, I would never set foot an someone's property without contacting them or arranging permission before hand, which is actually pretty easy to do before the season opens. If they weren't there when I called the first time, I'd try again in an hour or so. In this day and age of cell phones, people are pretty easy to get with a call or a text no matter where they are. If I was in a "dead zone" I'd simply drive to where I could get reception.

No sheriff or judge for that matter will buy off on you being "forced" to trespass. Plus, a landowner catching you is well within their rights to get the sheriff to have a serious talk with you.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Neighbors can be some of the nicest people on earth then deer season comes and they turn into the biggest A HOLEs on earth.
Michigan law states you can not trespass with out permission period. If you are tracking a wounded deer on my property you came and asked for permission to do so before the season started. If I see you I will have your picture and will prosecute you for trespassing. It is only neighborly to ask ahead of time no if and or buts.
No one is forced to trespass any way shape or form.
Of course isn't much can be done with what is done on their land. Is why I keep my blinds and stands away from the property lines, well away. I try to make all the hunting improvements in the center of my property and food plots with insight of the house most times. trail cams patrol the property lines too and the neighbors know also.

Al
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have my cell phone number on all my no trespassing signs. If someone needs to cross my land to get to state or BLM land for a legitimate reason they can call me and it's usually no problem.
If I catch people or parked vehicles on my land with no permission things aren't so cordial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.