HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   where do i go now? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387541-where-do-i-go-now.html)

dirtydevon 11-26-2013 12:57 PM

where do i go now?

opening day is always the best day of deer season and always the most eventful, and if i don't shoot a buck i will at lest see one. but what do i do after the first day of season? i never see any deer after this, where do they hid? do they only come out at night? i know they are still out there but why am i not seeing them?

Bullcamp82834 11-26-2013 03:59 PM

Sounds like your land gets a lot of pressure.
They are probably chased off on to some property that isn't all stirred up or they are going nocturnal.

TSR6 11-26-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4101937)
Sounds like your land gets a lot of pressure.
They are probably chased off on to some property that isn't all stirred up or they are going nocturnal.

This ^^

In a lot of cases, there are more hunters out on opening weekend than any other time. In a lot of cases, the neighbors probably closed up shop and the deer are on those properties with less pressure.

rockport 11-26-2013 05:58 PM

Just keep hunting. Sometimes its tough but that is hunting

MZS 11-26-2013 06:36 PM

Sounds like you are hunting WI gun. What you will sometimes find is the days Mon, Tue, Wed the highly pressured woods empty out and the deer hunker down - so you see nothing. But by Thursday (Thanksgiving) it is almost like opening day again since the deer settle down a bit - that morning will often have a lot of deer moving again and there will be a lot of hunters out to move them even more.

In low pressured woods this is not so much a factor.

Wilcam47 11-26-2013 08:37 PM

Game camera..get one...they are worth it..

jtktbarnett 11-27-2013 05:53 AM

Trying hunting mid afternoon when pressure is high....I have killed many bucks in gun season from 11-2pm. Good luck.

flags 11-27-2013 06:17 AM

Find the thickest and nastiest cover in the area. If the deer are pressured, they will head there. People don't like to hunt areas like that which is something you can use to your benefit. Ease into it real slow and quiet. It won't all be thick, usually such cover will open up a little in the middle. Find a place where you can see in a few different directions, sit down and don't move any more than you have to. Stay there until it gets too dark to shoot. You may be amazed how much deer move around in heavy cover.

early in 11-27-2013 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4102070)
You may be amazed how much deer move around in heavy cover.

This is so true. I hunt the edge of this thicket, and just last week watched 2 doe feeding just inside it at around 1:45PM! Here, I thought I was on stand early for the evening hunt.