Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How can we make hunting more popular among young people? >

How can we make hunting more popular among young people?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How can we make hunting more popular among young people?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
My 3.5 year old loves to hunt. They either like it or don't. Start changing something to "appeal" to the ones who don't like it and there goes the sport right down the drain.

Its up to the seasoned hunters to take a child by the hand and show them what its all about.
yup...trying to get my step-daughter into deer hunting but she doesn't have the patience..she did shoot a couple game birds this season so its a slow track but maybe she'll get interested more on deer one day...
Originally Posted by rockport
I'm probably in the minority but I don't like what the whole thing has become. Pay a couple grand, get dropped off at a stand, shoot deer when they walk by,have them throw it in the back of your truck, drive it down the road and pay somebody else to get it out of your truck and give you a call when they have turned it into food ....just not the way its supposed to happen IMO. Might as well just go to the grocery store and buy some food then go down to the sporting goods store and pick yourself up a nice trophy

I have an unpopular opinion on this topic usually. I also don't agree with teaching a kid its supposed to be easy. I totally disagree with that philosophy. Hunting is cold, it test your patients, it test your skill,it test your desire.

The feeling at the end is supposed to be a proud sense of accomplishment, the payoff for hard work IMO not just a cheap thrill from killing.

The harder it is the better the reward not the other way around. How can you teach a kid how to hunt by taking the hunt out of hunting?
Pay a couple grand?? I love deer hunting...but im not paying that! I'll self guide my hunts thanks...lol
Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
yup...trying to get my step-daughter into deer hunting but she doesn't have the patience..she did shoot a couple game birds this season so its a slow track but maybe she'll get interested more on deer one day...

Pay a couple grand?? I love deer hunting...but im not paying that! I'll self guide my hunts thanks...lol
Great.....I think that is exactly what everybody should do.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Fork Horn

I really don't believe their is anything we can do short of tearing down malls shopping centers and housing developments to re gain a lot of land we once had to hunt. Its not so much as as many people don't hunt no more as it is many people have lost the land they always hunted on which takes the adults out of it which in turn re moves your mentors for today's youth. So I don't think its as much the kids aren't as into as before as it is the area is so limited and took up with hunt leases it just takes the little guy out EXAMPLE THE YOUTH!!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Spike

I am a PE instructor here in Dodge City. Our whole high school PE department went through training this past summer through the National Archery in Schools Program. We are all on board with getting kids shooting during school. I just finished a two week unit with all my classes. The kids enjoy the heck out of it, and it also cures a little bit of my Buck Fever this time of year! It is a great way to get kids involved and teach them about safety and technique. We also talk to them about the joys of hunting and the bounties that come with it. Through all the deer stories my colleagues and I have shared I think they are pretty jazzed up about it! We get our nutrition plug in by telling them that venison is the best quality, lean, organic, hormone free meat you can eat!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Spike

This a great post. I believe the way to keep the hunting tradition alive is take a youngster out and introduce them to this great past time. We took my 9 year old cousin out rabbit hunting last winter and we had a blast. When he got cold and a little bored, we headed right back to the house. I want to take him deer hunting next. Michigan has a mentored youth program where a children 9 and up can hunt with a licensed mentor age 21 or up. I gotta admit I still play video games, but there is a right time for that, it's called after dark or the off season.