Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!) >

I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!)

Old 11-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Here are a couple photos too!

His left eye actually seems to have something goofed with it. It was actually nearly swollen shut, and pretty crusty. Seeing how he was quartering towards me with the bad eye, I'm thinking he might not have been able to see me. It's possible that he never even saw what was about to happen as I turned and shot.
Attached Thumbnails I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!)-img_20131123_093840_174-resize-small.jpg   I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!)-img_20131123_102412_668-resized-small.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

...and now I found some trail camera footage of my buck (that I must have missed weeks ago) from sometime before deer season. I was showing off some of the trail camera videos at Thanksgiving when I found my buck long before deer season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGsJlQbFvMA
Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I was able to position the ears at the taxidermist. It's getting close to coming home!
Attached Thumbnails I shot my 9-point buck while I was busy checking my trail camera! (caught on video!)-img_20131221_115742_162.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's pretty cool with shots before, during, and after the fact! He's a beautiful buck with great mass down low all the way up. He probably got that eye jabbed fighting with the competition for does and may have been blind in that one like you theorized. Congratulations on a great buck and a nice mount to hang on the wall!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That's pretty cool with shots before, during, and after the fact! He's a beautiful buck with great mass down low all the way up. He probably got that eye jabbed fighting with the competition for does and may have been blind in that one like you theorized. Congratulations on a great buck and a nice mount to hang on the wall!!!
Topgun - Yes, I forgot that update. The taxidermist called once he got it fully skinned out, that the eyeball was damaged pretty bad. When he was pealing the hide back around the face, puss shot out - he got horned in the eye pretty bad.

He was definitely blind in his left eye, which explains why he never saw me!

Taxidermist's first words on that phone call were: "You want two good eyes in your mount, or you want me to poke out his left eye again for you?!"

I went with two good eyes. lol
Old 12-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good decision! I had never heard of a taxidermist having the hunter do the ears until just a day or two ago when we were discussing that about another member doing the same thing. Then Rockport also came on and said he had done that.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Good decision! I had never heard of a taxidermist having the hunter do the ears until just a day or two ago when we were discussing that about another member doing the same thing. Then Rockport also came on and said he had done that.
That was me!

I realized I never updated my original thread with the photo on the wall, so I did that today.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I just got him back from the taxidermist today! .... I snuck him up on the wall while the wife was out at the grocery store.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of camera do you have that it records that long? Congrats on the buck.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
What kind of camera do you have that it records that long? Congrats on the buck.

Thanks!
I have a 2013 Bushnell camera (bought it right before deer season). It has a max of 60sec of video, but I keep the trigger set anywhere between ~1-5sec between videos on my two cameras. Nothing worse than having a 60sec video of a doe coming through, and missing the buck that follows her...

The video was edited putting several clips together. If you watch it again, you should be able to see the transitions between clips as it fades in/out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.