Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is my buck a 6 point or an 8?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not really because you have to know how a rack is scored in order to determine how many points it has. In this particular case I have to differ with you and anyone else that says this is a six pointer because those blunt ends of the main beam, even though they are less than an inch, are technically a point because of the way the scoring system works to determine beam length. You are making this much harder than it really is! See my post #54

If you want to live in fantasy land that is fine by me but that buck has 6 points. The OP knew it or he would not have asked the question in the first place.

If an official B&C scorer were to come on here and state that buck is an 8 pointer(provided the scorer gives his credentials) I will be the first to admit I'm wrong!

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
We're past all that now, and I'm not buying it.
Yes .308, that also reminds me of the Zaft Buck, which would have been an archery world record typical, if it weren't for a "common point" being deducted instead of being added to the score.
he zaft buck was also classed as a pick-up, he recovered the rack 2 weeks after he shot it after it was scavenged., and TG is correct (did I say that?) it would be scored as an 8, but the rules also state the outside spread can not be more than the length of the shortest main beam. so that would possibly lower the score considerably
RR
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

This buck is a 6pt. and at best, if the right main beam is an 1" or over it is a 7pt. Good buck regardless!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
If you want to live in fantasy land that is fine by me but that buck has 6 points. The OP knew it or he would not have asked the question in the first place.

If an official B&C scorer were to come on here and state that buck is an 8 pointer(provided the scorer gives his credentials) I will be the first to admit I'm wrong!
***The OP asked if the main beams always count as a point and the answer to that as I and RR have stated is YES. That is why even though they are broken and less than an inch past the G3 tines the buck would be considered an 8 pointer for scoring purposes. And no, I live in the real world, not in fantasyland, but do know how in the heck to score and count a deer's rack, which apparently a lot on here including yourself don't!!! Please go to the B&C scoring site and read what we're saying and quit arguing, as it is very easy to understand unless you are making up your own rules as you go.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-26-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 AM
Spike

I'd say 7-8 point. Probably an 8 by scoring rules. Nice buck though. He definitely knew what he wanted and went after it full tilt
Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The inch rule is for tines. Not for the main beam. The main beam is always over an inch, or the deer would be scored as a doe.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I'd LOVE for everybody who posted on this thread to look closely AGAIN at the buck we're talking about, then tell me it's an 8pt. I'm not concerned about the scoring proceedure, which some think makes that an 8pt. If that were my buck, I promise you I wouldn't be telling my buddies I killed an 8pt. The buck in that pic has 6 points, which really answers the original question, "is my buck a 6pt or an 8pt".

We did really run with this, but it's been fun.

Last edited by early in; 11-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

If that were my buck, I promise you I wouldn't be telling my buddies I killed an 8pt.
If you wanted to decribe it well and have people being able to visualize it, you should call it a "busted up 8-pointer". You can specify that it's an 8-pointer with the ends of the main beams broken off.

If you call it a 6-point, I would picture a forkie with brow tines.

You would have to do more describing to get the full visual if you started with 6-pointer than if you were honest and called it a broken 8-pointer.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it WAS an 8pt. But, it ISN'T now. lmao
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you wanted to decribe it well and have people being able to visualize it, you should call it a "busted up 8-pointer". You can specify that it's an 8-pointer with the ends of the main beams broken off.

***That would probably be the best way to describe this 8 pointer since it appears that many on the forum are hung up on the 1" requirement for a tine to be counted as a tine even though the beam is not under that rule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.