Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is my buck a 6 point or an 8?

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
We're past all that now, and I'm not buying it.

***Could care less whether you're buying it or not, LOL!
Just for the record, it's "couldn't care less".
Old 11-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

early in has a buck in the same contest as the original poster's buck. early in has a 7-pointer and is in the lead for some big $$$$$.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not me. All I've gotten so far this year has been a lone doe.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skinnnner
But is the right side acually broken or is it just the main beam going upwards?
It looks like both sides were broken off in a fight with the right side closer to the G3 tine than on the left side. However, according to the B&C scoring system that I copied, it is my belief that each of those stubs would still be considered and measured as the main beam, rather than going up the tines that appear to be coming off the top of the beam in the picture. That would then make the rack a typical 8 pointer even though the ends of the beams are less than 1 inch because there is nothing in the system that says the last part of the beam has to be an inch or longer to be counted/scored/measured.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The original poster is now obligated to get his buck officially scored and post the sheet.

This is mandatory. Failure to do so will result in a Grade A infraction and go on your permanent record.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't really matter. You can't measure the tines twice no matter what you call them.

I'd say the main beams are still the main beams and the tines are still the tines. If its an inch its a point if its not an inch its not a point.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It looks like both sides were broken off in a fight with the right side closer to the G3 tine than on the left side. However, according to the B&C scoring system that I copied, it is my belief that each of those stubs would still be considered and measured as the main beam, rather than going up the tines that appear to be coming off the top of the beam in the picture. That would then make the rack a typical 8 pointer even though the ends of the beams are less than 1 inch because there is nothing in the system that says the last part of the beam has to be an inch or longer to be counted/scored/measured.
Fair enough
Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say the main beams are still the main beams and the tines are still the tines. If its an inch its a point if its not an inch its not a point.
The main beams look like they're around 15 and 17 inches. That's more than an inch.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I think we all got carried away here(myself included) on what was originally asked by the OP. He did not ask how this buck would be scored by B&C. He asked if it was a 6 or 8 pointer and we ran with it. So this buck is a 6 pointer!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Guys, I think we all got carried away here(myself included) on what was originally asked by the OP. He did not ask how this buck would be scored by B&C. He asked if it was a 6 or 8 pointer and we ran with it. So this buck is a 6 pointer!
Not really because you have to know how a rack is scored in order to determine how many points it has. In this particular case I have to differ with you and anyone else that says this is a six pointer because those blunt ends of the main beam, even though they are less than an inch, are technically a point because of the way the scoring system works to determine beam length. You are making this much harder than it really is! See my post #54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.