Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is my buck a 6 point or an 8?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Why wouldn't he run the tape until he runs out of main beam to measure?
He would, and it would end at the G3. Regardless of my personal thinking/reasoning, the general consensus still has that buck being a 6pt, not an 8pt. This case has officially come to an end. It's time we moved on with our lives.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You seem convinced so I'll let you have the last word.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

.308, what kind of surprises me is that an "Offical Scorer", and there has to be one out there who has read this thread, hasn't chimed in on this?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

.308, what kind of surprises me is that an "Offical Scorer", and there has to be one out there who has read this thread, hasn't chimed in on this?
After the Johnny King debacle, they're covering their azzes.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

From the B&C Scoring System:
F: LENGTH OF MAIN BEAM
The length of the main beam is measured from the center of the lowest outside edge of the burr over the outer side to the most distant point of the main beam. The beginning point is on the burr where the center line along the outer side of the beam intersects the burr.

***Therefore, even though there appears to be less than an ich of main beam protruding past the tines coming off the beam because it was broken, it would still be measured as an eight pointer the way BarnesX.308 is stating. Arguing that it's a six point is moot just because the beams appear to be less than an inch past the tines where they were broken off. I hope this settles the dispute!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope this settles the dispute!
Hey, I'm good with it now.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're past all that now, and I'm not buying it.
Yes .308, that also reminds me of the Zaft Buck, which would have been an archery world record typical, if it weren't for a "common point" being deducted instead of being added to the score.

Last edited by early in; 11-26-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're past all that now, and I'm not buying it.

***Could care less whether you're buying it or not, LOL! There are obviously short pieces of main beam just past where the long G3 tines protrude from those beams. If each beam was completely sheared off and not showing at all, then the beam length would be measured up what is presently the G3 and it would be considered a 6 pointer. To be a point coming off the main beam they must be 1 inch long, but that has nothing to do with the way the beam length is measured, as long as there is anything there to put the tape on and there certainly is on this particular rack. Technically it would be scored as an 8, even though most would call it a 6 because of the 1" requirement to call a tine a tine.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 11-26-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
From the B&C Scoring System:
F: LENGTH OF MAIN BEAM
The length of the main beam is measured from the center of the lowest outside edge of the burr over the outer side to the most distant point of the main beam. The beginning point is on the burr where the center line along the outer side of the beam intersects the burr.

***Therefore, even though there appears to be less than an ich of main beam protruding past the tines coming off the beam because it was broken, it would still be measured as an eight pointer the way BarnesX.308 is stating. Arguing that it's a six point is moot just because the beams appear to be less than an inch past the tines where they were broken off. I hope this settles the dispute!
Yup i agree with that
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

But is the right side acually broken or is it just the main beam going upwards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.