Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ok gotta vent

Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Angry Ok gotta vent

Sons birthday was the last week and bought him a trail camera he's been wanting one and we have never used them so I bought him one. Went out last week to put it up by our tree stand put it up. I figured we would give it about a week before we check it. So after school today I pick him up and take him to the farm he's excited to see if it has got any deer pics on it and well someone done stole it. Now I know this type of thing happens in the world but man has it got me fired up. Someone stole a 11 yr olds trail camera. It makes me sick. Don't understand how someone can touch something that's not theirs. Well ok I vented now I'm done.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

That's terrible... You ever seen anyone sneaking around your hunting spot before?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Trail camera theft is pretty common..

I have to wonder why the manufacturers don't put encryption capabilities on them that would make them useless to anyone who doesn't have the code.

It would be a simple and very cheap feature to add that would make the unit useless to anyone who steals it.

I think I know why they don't... Its because having it stolen means you'll probably purchase another one.. And, people who steal stuff like that usually don't purchase them anyhow so its not like they're losing a sale.

That said.. there may be a solution that would almost force the manufacturers to install theft protection devices..

The solution is to pay for it with your credit card and then make a claim with your cc company when it's stolen. Most people don't even know you can do this but its part of you credit card terms and DOES NOT increase your cost of using the card in any way. Its already built in and has been that way for decades.

Once the credit card companies start getting thousands of claims, they'll have a chat with the camera manufacturers.

Did you know that using your credit card also doubles your manufacturers warranty up to 1 year?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 AM
Typical Buck

That's a heck of a way for a young fellow to find out how lousy people are.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

I'm thinking that there's a more simple explanation for why many game cameras get stolen.

Ok, so you're trespassing on posted private land which is where 99% of game cameras are placed. You look up and notice that a game camera has just snapped your pic. There's one sure way to prevent the owner from getting your picture. Most folks might not think to simply take the SD card.

Just a thought.

It sure sucks about your son's camera and of course, now you're naturally going to be hesitant about placing another one there. HEY, maybe that's it. Put a cheap one out in the open and camouflage another in range of that to photo the theif!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hate a thief! My old grey haired Grand Mother always told me not to hate anyone, but I still hate a thief!

I don't know if you want to push the issue or not but I'd go back with 2 cameras. Put one in the same place and then hide the other one really well to take pics of the first one. See if you can get the slimeball on film! Then pay his worthless butt a visit if you recognize him.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

OK,

I'm in on this. Your boy learned that people can be scum. Good lesson. It's true.

Now he needs to learn that hunters are not scum, in fact we are good people.

I'm in for $20 to buy that son of yours a new one. Who's in? Let's get enough to buy him two or three to replace the one he lost, and to teach him which crowd to follow.

Set up a paypal account and let's get the real message of real Americans going.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NEhomer

Ok, so you're trespassing on posted private land which is where 99% of game cameras are placed.
I was wondering where you got a hold of this statistic? I'm thinking that there HAS to be more hunters on public land than on private land. So, I would think there's more cams on public land. No?

I've been using 2 cams on State Park land for the last 10 years and I've yet to have one stolen. You need to be creative as to where you locate your cam, at least on public land. Bottom line is, anything you leave in the woods, public or private, is at risk.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

put them up high pointed down, hunters are like deer they never look up
RR
Old 11-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks a lot for the kind words guys I have hunted in this spot over 12 years with never a issue at all. Just goes to show ya I guess you really never know. Thanks again for allowing me to vent.And Djfan that's a heck of a nice thing to try to do I appriciate it brother.

Last edited by oliveschoolhunter; 11-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.