Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dads, how old for son to hunt alone? >

Dads, how old for son to hunt alone?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dads, how old for son to hunt alone?

Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In PA, they have to be 16. My son is 11 and has been hunting since he was 6. He's gotten 5 whitetails and two exotics so far. I think he could be ready to hunt alone at 13, but it's not allowed.

When I say alone, I mean he's in a stand and we both know our locations. With 2-ways, we could check on each other.

When I started hunting, my dad just gave me the 410 or 20ga and said, "have fun". Those were different times.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

I'm going thru the same thing I've had 4 great years with my son in the stand with me.He has carried a gin or bow for 4 yrs but has actually went with me since he was 4 so 7 yrs total. He now wants to hunt his own stand. I believe I'm gonna put another stand up in sight of me just to keep a watchful eye on him.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NH they have to be 16 to go solo.

How about a compromise if you are comfy with him being alone. You walk to stand with him, once he's in, safe and sound, you move off. Come back later.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

The question is how mature the young hunter is. Not how many candles were on his last birthday cake.
I've known 12 year olds I trusted alone in the field and 18+ year olds I wouldn't trust doing anything potentially dangerous without supervision.
It's a judgment call on the part of the mentor.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like he is ready. I take a 13 & a 14 year old hunting occasionally, and they are not ready to be on their own, but haven't been raised in the culture. They enjoy it, but haven't developed the maturity to be on their own yet.

Your son, though, sounds like he has it all together. I could only assume that a hunter that would pass on pretty nice TN deer would also be aware of what is behind his target.

I would have no worries sending him to his own stand if I were you.

The only draw back to not being with him is on your side...you don't get to be with him. But, you get to go with him, talk about what happened, and still have that connection. It may end up being even more enjoyable having the opportunity to tell each other about your own hunts.

Good luck in the morning...I'll be in my neck of the TN woods again, and am ready to let the rifle ring up something with antlers! Took a couple does during bow season, so meat isn't a necessity at this point. It's all about the big boys from this point on!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
The question is how mature the young hunter is. Not how many candles were on his last birthday cake.
I've known 12 year olds I trusted alone in the field and 18+ year olds I wouldn't trust doing anything potentially dangerous without supervision.
It's a judgment call on the part of the mentor.
This is spot on.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

In Wisconsin you have to be 14 to hunt without an adult within sight and talking distance.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

A hunter needs to be both physically and mentally mature to safely hunt alone. The decision process is so important and really isn't fair to put a kid out there that isn't ready. Most states have laws relating to children and minimum driving age and my take is much the same with hunting. A loaded gun is just as dangerous as an automobile for someone who doesn't have the experience or judgement to properly use them. I vote for 16 with all the proper training to go it alone wihout supervision.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

By the time my son was 12-13 he logged 100's of hours in stands with me. Had many encounters with deer that were just let go to walk by us. At 14 yo I had no problem with him in his own stand and i get what you are saying. He is 18 now and I am still nervous when he goes on his own. I think its just being a dad. My buddys kid is 14 now and no way should he be left on his own. Good kid, but has alot of growing up to do (deer hunting wise) before I would leave him alone. So, every kid is different and should be treated that way.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida you have to be 16 and pass the safety coarse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.