Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cull buck or let live for another season >

Cull buck or let live for another season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cull buck or let live for another season

Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Spike

Default Cull buck or let live for another season

Cull buck or let live for another season-img_0681-2-.jpg

Seen this buck a couple of times this fall. Partner wants to cull him but I feel he will be a nice buck in the future. Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Did it not grow, or did he break it off fighting?

Looks like a young deer, id see what he does next year.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

1 more year
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

I'd make him into a few sticks of bolonga
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Spike

I agree let him go and see what he looks like next year
Old 11-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Whack him. If it's your land and your herd, you don't want him polluting that gene pool with his halfsy rack.

I hunt public land, and it's pretty rare to let legally shootable buck go; it'd be cool to hunt somewhere that letting anything except a fawn or doe pass on by is an option in an effort to improve the selection of bucks.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't eat antlers. Meat is where it is for me when it comes to deer and elk. But to each his own
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Can't eat antlers. Meat is where it is for me when it comes to deer and elk. But to each his own
2nd this, I live in and hunt Nebraska and I guess our deer run a little fatter then most generally, my 1.5 year old fork/spike buck dressed out at right around 140-150 pounds this year, thought he was a fat doe until we go up to him dead and realized he had a rack....

I am a meat hunter and you cannot eat antlers, nor are older bigger bucks are tender and yummy tasting!!!!

That being said, in some southern states I wouldn't take a spiked buck or forked buck as the meat gained on those smaller deer not worth it until they chubby up.

If you only have a few days left or want to just fill your tag take the deer, if you have more time to put in afield and deer are not a rare sight where you live let it go.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a buck because you feel he is too inferior to live on this planet is insulting to the whitetail species.

How many buck tags do you get? We get one tag and we shoot the buck that makes us happy. With the amount of bucks and doe running around, that's a lot of sperm and egg to control. Killing deer because they are inferior diminishes hunting to me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Shooting a buck because you feel he is too inferior to live on this planet is insulting to the whitetail species.
Agreed. I get excited over a big pair of antlers but that isn't why I do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.