Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer fever

Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Banned

Default Deer fever

I need help staying calm. I've been hunting for many years and i have shot plenty of deer but it seems everytime I see a deer even a small one my heart beats like crazy and I almost jump in the air. Is there anything that anybody does to stay calm?

Last edited by Muzzleloaderhunter; 11-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Spike

Nope. The way I see it is if you don't get excited whenever you see a deer, you shouldn't be hunting!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

the pump is what its all about, let's you know your alive!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed hundreds of deer and a handfull of nice bucks.

I feel the same way you do till this day. When that feeling goes away its time for me to hang it up.

I have learned to relax, breath and thus keeping me still and un noticed.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Night.. Its the hunt.. the predator vs prey... its hard wired into us from generations past... If you don't feel that then find a new hobby... for me its a passion, it runs through me.. When November comes I am drawn to the woods and nothing can stop me.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

The passion is in my it really is I just over react WAY to much when I see one. I've spooked a nice buck this year from just seeing it. I jumped up and made to much movement and when I went to grab my gun I wasn't thinking and moved to much so he noticed me and took off
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Same answer: I don't want to be cured!
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Years back (Before compound bows) my cousin shot bow on a local league. They took on the pistol team and beat them every year. He tried bowhunting ONE year. He just came unglued and would miss deer by a couple feet. He gave up. I usually get excited after the shot. Some people are not so lucky. Try spending more time in the woods out of season and letting deer get up close to you.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Spike

What they all said. It's the predator in you. I can't imagine hunting without getting the fever LOL. BUT, you also want to make a good shot, and shaking like Don Knotts ain't the best thing either.

Something I did years ago when new to bowhunting, which it's critical to have a steady shot, is to see myself making the shot. Not simply taking the shot at the animal, but the whole hunt. Getting into my stand, having a look around, and sometime later, seeing the deer. Seeing the deer come closer and closer until the moment of truth. Drawing back on him, releasing the arrow, seeing it hit, the deers reaction and ends with me recovering him. I know that sounds a bit out of whack, but it lets one replay the scenario over and over in their brain. I do it constantly while in stand to this day, picking different situations each time. Not only does it help, but it keeps your mind actively thinking about the hunt. I does work. I guess you could say it calms you psychologically because in your mind, you've done it so many times. In fact, many pro athletes use the very same tactics.

But in the end, that rush of adrenaline is what its all about. It reminds you of your place in the natural world.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
The passion is in my it really is I just over react WAY to much when I see one. I've spooked a nice buck this year from just seeing it. I jumped up and made to much movement and when I went to grab my gun I wasn't thinking and moved to much so he noticed me and took off
Time will teach you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.