HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Steps for staying sent free (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387298-steps-staying-sent-free.html)

troberts14 11-19-2013 09:51 AM

Steps for staying sent free

These are the steps I fallow to stay sent free. Thought I would post this to show people how I do it and for some opinions. So for it has worked good for me.

To start off with I fill my plastic box full of activated charcoal (it has weather strip around the edge so it is sealed tight) and let it sit over night to eliminate the odor in the box.

I put I pack of baking soda in washer and let it run with nothing in it to eliminate the odor In the washer.

I put my clothes in washer with another pack of baking soda and hunting detergent and rinse.

When done rinsing I put the clothes in a trash bag.

I hang them to dry outside in natural elements till dry.

When dry I put them In the plastic box with some pine branches to make them smell like the natural surroundings.

I store the plastic tub in my truck so it is ready when I need it.

I dress when I get to the woods away from any odors.

Finally I spray down with dead down wind on my walk in.

I repeat this process every 2-3 weeks depending on how much I hunt.

Bullcamp82834 11-19-2013 01:15 PM

Use the wind.
If the breeze isn't blowing your scent to them you are "scent free".

I know. I know. There are situations you can't control. But the idea that you can make yourself scent invisible to deer is wishful thinking IMO.

7.62NATO 11-19-2013 01:35 PM

I hunt in one of these. Works like a charm!

rockport 11-19-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4099722)
Stay upwind.
If the breeze isn't blowing your scent to them you are "scent free".

I know. I know. There are situations you can't control. But the idea that you can make yourself scent invisible to deer is wishful thinking IMO.

I would completely agree but I think less is still better.

Scent invisible is not an option but scent reduction is.

There is certainly a range in which your scent is invisible and that range can be reduced IMO.

early in 11-19-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4099732)
There is certainly a range in which your scent is invisible and that range can be reduced IMO.

Why would you want to reduce your scent invisibility?

rockport 11-19-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by early in (Post 4099734)
Why would you want to reduce your scent invisibility?

I said reduce the range in which your scent is invisible.

olsaltydog 11-19-2013 02:02 PM

I prefer 7.62's method, I can fart or take a Mcrib with me and the deer would never know.

kenified06 11-19-2013 03:26 PM

I do hear the Mcrib is back

troberts14 11-19-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4099737)
I said reduce the range in which your scent is invisible.

What do you recommend me doing to reduce the range in which my scent is invisible.

SWThomas 11-19-2013 04:26 PM

I don't care what you wear and how much scent control you employ, if the deer is down wind, it WILL smell you.

Hunt the wind and forget the gimmicks.