Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Steps for staying sent free

Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have yet to fool a deers nose. I think the cleaner you are the less they freak out if they get a whiff. I hunt way back in almost a wilderness area where hunters rarely go. They know I'm there even when I'm down wind. They snort 200 yds up wind from me . They are not used to people at all. Down in Southern Wis. they are not half as skiddish. Hunters think they are gunna fool them, they won't. When you walk, there are scent bombs coming out of your boots every step. maybe if you put your feet in plastic bags and duct tape the tops , that might help. Even your breath has scent and scent molecules stick to everything. No way out of it but to come in from down wind, and then your chances are against you. I read about a guy who did everything religiously going to his stand. One day his dog got out and it followed him right to his stand and stood there. He decided spray and scent block is not working .

Last edited by ihookem1; 11-19-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Jeez, I don't know. I use cover scents or attractants, because I don't think I can scent-proof myself.

And I'll share a dirty little secret: depending on the wind, it might not matter one way or the other what you do - - if the deer are upwind, you can pee off of your stand and smoke cigars and they won't smell you.

If they're not, it's a different deal.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Besides wind direction, there is land contour, which can be tricky as heck if there are hills, valleys, and openings. Also thermals. Often, I have to learn via school of hard knocks as in "OK, I got busted even though the wind was supposed to be right". So I learn not to set up that way next year. Within 25 yds it can be difficult. At 50+ yds during gun season it is much less difficult.

Besides scent, you have to try to set up where they are not likely to sneak up from behind. You hear that tiny snap behind you, then a stomp or two, then huff huff and it is over!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by troberts14
What do you recommend me doing to reduce the range in which my scent is invisible.
I think your doing alright. The pine needles and spray probably doesn't do any good and I wash my clothes more often. If parts of trees covered your scent the tree your sitting in and the 1000s of them around you would cover your scent.

Expectations is a big part of it. Don't expect to be able to shoot deer with a bow that are down wind.

Just keep it simple IMO, Stronger smells travel further.

I'm not sure why people are sarcastic about it and blow it off. I think "just hunt the wind" is terrible advice. Its almost like a trend.....one extreme to the other. People now know cover scent doesn't work and that there is no magic spray the fools deer and they treat like its a black and white issue when there are many gray areas.

Scent can and should be reduced and nothing replaces hunting the wind.

A mature deer may very well end up 150 yards downwind of you today and then still be in the area tomorrow because he didn't smell you yesterday because you took the simple steps to reduce your scent. You probably won't get a shot a him with a bow if he is down wind but you may shoot him a month later because you didn't run him off.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spray down with scent killer before every hunt and I hunt the wind.That's about it.If I'm hunting on the ground I add a little doe pee down wind of me.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since we are on scent reduction figured i will add in a question. Why is the industry trying to eliminate the human scent completely vs masking it within another scent. Masking would appear much easier and wide ranging then attempting to removing completely. Just saying why not make yourself smell like something else (Not saying cover yourself in doe urine) like sugar beats or acorns or something that would appear more attractant to the deer vs I might be here or might not be depending on how much scent is left over.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

I myself believe in scent control. Will you always fool a deers nose, probably not but many times I have had deer come from down wind and keep coming. My goal is that if a deer gets my scent I want it to think I am 200 yards away not 20. Guys that just play the wind are missing alot behind them. I dont have the luxary of shooting deer at 200, 300, or 400 yards so I want them close.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I am not a scent control freak. I do not like to go afeild smelling like a turd.

I shower, keep my cloths clean, and spray down. I hunt the wind as much as I can. This is my hobby I don't like to turn hobbies into work, its enough work with farming, clearing lanes and hanging stands.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

True enough WNY. When you glass the deer at a distance and go to them it's not that hard to use the wind to your advantage.
When you are in a tree stand in the woods and the deer come in close from unexpected directions it's a whole different ball game.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 11-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I also dont have the priviledge of playing the wind on my property. Its only 40 acres and alot of the deer come from down wind. So I try to stack my hand with 4 aces instead of a pair of 2's. I dont want people peeing out of my stands, and absolutely no smoking. And this year all deer are to be gutted in a designated spot outside of the woods. I get some funny looks but hey, I write the checks lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.