HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What to do with shed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387278-what-do-shed.html)

bigtim6656 11-18-2013 09:08 PM

What to do with shed

My dad found 4. Shed antlers by the dumbster in our community. Guess someone wanted to toss em. So im thinkin up ideas of what to do with em. One is a set 5x 5 big set at that. The other not sure if its a set ones a 4 poin the others deformed kind with two points together and a third small point

Im tryin to figure out ideas of what to do with em thought bout saving them till i get enough for a light or get a wood plac and make a gun rack
Anyone got any better ideas. I thought bout usin the smaller set for rattling when hunting but im worried their break cause theres a few cracks running through them not bad but bunch fine cracks

BarnesX.308 11-19-2013 02:20 AM

You can buy a kit to make a fake European mount. Basically, it's a fake skull that you can screw the antlers into.

flags 11-19-2013 03:06 AM

Are they loose antlers or still on the skull plate? Loose antlers can be made into things like: knife handles, buttons, drawer pulls, coat racks, gun racks, towel racks, toilet paper holders, etc... The use of antlers is only limited by a lack of imagination. They can be cut into any size needed and screwed/glued to whatever you want. As a material it is pretty versatile. Look at some of the things the Native Americans made with them.

If they are attached to the skull plate they can be simply hung on the wall but I personally wouldn't do that with antlers nobody in my family had taken. I have given antlers to a local bar, a school for the biology class and to restaurants for décor as well. And I never met a kid that didn't like a set of antlers either.

UncleNorby 11-19-2013 08:53 AM

I made a coat rack with some small racks, basically a wood shelf to display pictures or whatever, with antlers mounted to the wood under the shelf . I drilled into the antler base, and epoxied in a stud, then ran the stud into the wood. Easy enough and looks pretty good.

Muzzleloaderhunter 11-19-2013 08:59 AM

All the extra antlers i have are simply on the top of my dresser. Have about 15 extra little antlers. They make good decorations to show your passion for deer!

Wilcam47 11-19-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4099544)
Are they loose antlers or still on the skull plate? Loose antlers can be made into things like: knife handles, buttons, drawer pulls, coat racks, gun racks, towel racks, toilet paper holders, etc... The use of antlers is only limited by a lack of imagination. They can be cut into any size needed and screwed/glued to whatever you want. As a material it is pretty versatile. Look at some of the thinks the Native Americans made with them.

If they are attached to the skull plate they can be simply hung on the wall but I personally wouldn't do that with antlers nobody in my family had taken. I have given antlers to a local bar, a school for the biology class and to restaurants for décor as well. And I never met a kid that didn't like a set of antlers either.

yup...I need to get some antlers to make pens out of them...

The Green Horn Hunter 11-19-2013 09:38 AM

Craigslists it, They buy anything on criagslists

Smokin Dee Licous 11-19-2013 12:26 PM

At least they try but sometime people list things they really don't want to sell - like BBQ trailer pits. I know I tried to buy one once from a guy with a "smoke allergy" who then went on to take up wood burning as a hobby.

GCJ 11-20-2013 04:03 AM

IF you have a "man cave", cabinet handles and or coat hangers.

OhioNovice 11-20-2013 01:59 PM

My dogs love them...