Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Human urine and deer

Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Good Green Horn I am interested to see how this works in other areas
Old 11-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I am still getting small bucks coming in but waiting on that monster to stop in there at my own scrape
Old 11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kenified06
I am still getting small bucks coming in but waiting on that monster to stop in there at my own scrape
You keep saying waiting for this monster. Have you one that may show up? Are you on his road?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

yeah I have 4 big bucks still other than the one I shot.. Im not sure Im on there particular travel route but that's not my goal.. I want them to leave there route and come to the pee pee
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
Well we've covered peeing and pooping. After we get through with spitting, this threads gonna get REAL interesting!
And let's don't even begin on the topic of what human generated scents will bring in grizzlies. This is a G rated forum !!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Wait til the big scent makers "get wind" of this. They will start hiring people to live at their farms for a few weeks, eating the "secret diet" that results in the perfect human pee scent. Don't laugh, it could happen. And it will be another goofy thing for hunters to waste their money on. "Your pee just is not good enough" they will say.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kenified06
yeah I have 4 big bucks still other than the one I shot.. Im not sure Im on there particular travel route but that's not my goal.. I want them to leave there route and come to the pee pee

From anything I've seen, and studied that's not quite how it works.

Bucks create territorial rut lines in an attempt to claim a certain area. These territories are obviously not perfect circles, but are circular in nature. Meaning that if the big buck your referring to wasn't actively trying to claim that area before, he likely won't go out of his way to visit your mock scrape.

Here's a little more food for thought. The territorial phase of the rut takes place for 2 to 3 weeks before the primary breeding phase. That's not to say that you won't find scrapes before that, but that's when the bucks are very actively tending their scrapes. Once the primary breeding phase starts, bucks for the most part abandon their scrape trails in pursuit of hot does. My point being that if your in, or past the primary breeding phase, most dominant bucks are no longer bothering with the scrapes.

It's been my observation that after the primary breeding phase, dominant bucks will often run there scrape routes after weather systems go threw(rain/snow). But even then it's rare for them to freshen the scrape.

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-22-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

That would explain why nothing big is coming over to the scrape then. Ill give it a try again next season a little earlier and use a scrape a buck has already made in his area.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken, as a caveat, that info pretty much pertains to my region.

The info originates from a series of 8 books written by Dr. Ken Nordberg.

Nordberg is a wildlife biologist that worked for over 20 years for the University of Minnesota/Bemidji. He was a professor, and was the head of a 20+ years study of whitetails. He had two study areas. One in NW Minnesota, the other in NE Wisconsin. Nordberg had a University budget, and an army of students to assist in performing the studies.

He then went on to write his books, of which I own all 8. My favorites are his 2nd, which deals with the phases of the rut, and his 4th, which deals with interpreting sign. Since the early 90's I've not just read the books, but have also spent 1000's of hours in the field with the books in my pocket, or backpack. I can tell you from first hand experience that Nordberg's data is spot on for my region, which of course is the region he did his study.

Tho your in a different region, I'm guessing that much of the whitetails behavior is similar to my area. But anyone who has been hunting whitetails for any amount of time knows that there is nothing set in stone when it comes to whitetails.

I can only offer you the info as a template for my region. You have to figure out if the behavior holds true in your region. From what I'm seeing in this thread it seems too.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a funny note in relation to this thread, Nordberg is of the old school anti human urine crowd... He very much preaches to keep human urine sent contained.

No surprise to me considering that his studies were done mostly in the late 70's, threw the 80's.

Tho it may be a part of his rhetoric as well. Like I said, I've found his data to be very accurate... That said, he is also trying to sell his books. I've not fully subscribed to his methodology, tho have adapted some of it to suit my own situations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.