HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Sight question for shotgun hunting... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387206-sight-question-shotgun-hunting.html)

Buckhunter46755 11-17-2013 07:21 AM

Sight question for shotgun hunting...

I bought a Stoeger M3000 Turkey edition 12ga last spring.

It has a fiber optic front sight on it but no rear bead.

I was wondering if the front sight would suffice for deer hunting at close ranges? (50 yds & under)

I still need to target shoot it but I imagine it would work for these distances, just wondered if anyone else used this type of setup or not.

In the past I have always used my scoped TC Omega during firearms season here in Indiana (legal).

But wanted to try out my semi-auto with some rifled slugs this season.

timbercruiser 11-17-2013 03:05 PM

Only one way to find out and that is to get three or four different brands of slugs, put up a target and see how well you can hit it. I would be looking for a rifled barrel and a scope myself.

Buckhunter46755 11-17-2013 04:58 PM

Right... or just use my Omega. The point in using my shotgun at this particular property is any potential shots will be under 50 yards. Most likely in the 20-40 yard range. I was hoping I wouldn't have to scope it for a shot that close. I will only be using it for deer occasionaly at this one particular stand. I guess I'll just have to shoot it and see if I can hit a 6" circle on a paper plate at 50 yards. Thought it would be a change using a shotgun during our firearms sason here. Use the ML during ML season or when I'm hunting an area where I may have to take some longer shots.

Murdy 11-17-2013 08:47 PM

Rifled slugs are cheap, I'd just try it out and see how well you can group it. I would think it would be fine. I have an old goose gun that I shoot rifled slugs through ones in a while (just in case I need a back up or loaner for some reason), I'd feel ok shooting out to 40 yards with it. Just make sure you have a consistent sight picture.

nchawkeye 11-18-2013 04:09 AM

You really need rifle sights for slugs...If it has a vent rib, there are some after market sights that can be added, it would help your accuracy on turkeys as well...

If it was me, I'd stick to the muzzleloader...

NEhomer 11-18-2013 04:21 AM

I've affixed a red dot sight to my 1187. I bought it for hunting deer this year but I went goose hunting with it on Saturday and wow, I felt like I was cheating. Had a group pass right in front of me at about 35 yds and it was like playing a video game. Place the dot in front of a bird, slap the trigger and watch 'em drop.

It seems to place slugs pretty accurately too. I appreciate that it doesn't blot out the target. Note that I haven't shot at a deer yet but I sure did appreciate how easy it was to line up the barrel Saturday.

TSR6 11-18-2013 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser (Post 4098990)
Only one way to find out and that is to get three or four different brands of slugs, put up a target and see how well you can hit it. I would be looking for a rifled barrel and a scope myself.

Ditto.

I can't imagine hunting with a smoothbore & irons. ****, I have a 2.5-9x50 scope on my slug gun.:confused0024:

Buckhunter46755 11-18-2013 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TSR6 (Post 4099434)
Ditto.

I can't imagine hunting with a smoothbore & irons. ****, I have a 2.5-9x50 scope on my slug gun.:confused0024:

Well then.... I suppose I will use my Omega instead. Or keep hunting with the Excal. Like I was saying, the area I am hunting will allow for shots at about 30-40 yards. I don't need a scope on any of my guns to shoot deer at what is equivalent to archery ranges. I was just curious if a shotgun with rifled slugs would work at these distances. I guess not. Wonder why they mass produce and sell rifled shotgun slugs for smoothbore barrels if they don't work???... :D

I am happy for you that you have a 2.5-9x50 on your slug gun. But not necessarily impressed. :wink:

UncleNorby 11-19-2013 08:56 AM

The set up will work. Go ahead and try some out. If you can hit with it, the deer won't know the difference.

Buckhunter46755 11-19-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by UncleNorby (Post 4099630)
The set up will work. Go ahead and try some out. If you can hit with it, the deer won't know the difference.

Thanks. That was what I have been thinking. I've deer hunted for years. But have always used use ML or CB. Thought it would be a change of pace trying out the new shotgun.