Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you scare off deer?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you scare off deer?

I know this seems a silly question, but I have had this problem twice after taking a deer from my stand this year. I want climb down to claim my kill but don't want other deer in the area to see me (and start checking the trees in the future). I tried grunting with grunt call vigorously, clapping my hands loudly, even pulled out the phone and searched for coyote cries and played them, and the pesky does still hung around.

It's funny because I'm always worried about spooking deer on the way in and when I want them gone, can't seem to get rid of 'em! Tough problem to have, right?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have deer all around my hunting shack at the edge of the woods every evening... Been wondering how to push them away for me to get out of there myself. One evening I did a loud snort weeze and ran them all off. I don't really want to do that now. Seems like they don't care what I do after dark anyways though.. They run when I leave but don't make any noise and come straight back and are on cam 30 minutes later. They do stare at my shack a lot now though but they cant see me. In a stand I think that could be a problem like ya say..
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read a magazine article a few years back where the author took a folding slingshot and small gravel to scare the deer away after dark.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a couple of my permanent stands I took a nylon cord and ran it out about 100 feet from the stand. I tied it to a cut off bush. When I want to get down I tug the string a few times. I know the deer hear other critters and deer around them all the time moving bushes and they come back out soon, not spooked.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Seems every evening right at dark the deer start piling in on me. I'm not gonna sit there and wait all night on them and by then it's to dark to tell if any are bucks. Pretty aggravating.

The last few times I just said screw it and started climbing down. They ran as soon as they heard me but didn't blow or act very scared. I'd see some of the same deer the next day and they wouldn't think to check my tree. Thought about taking a pocket full of rocks to throw at them.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of the shaking bush. My problem has actually been during daylight after my muzzleloader has roared. I don't get it. Like I said, I just don't want them to start looking UP.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have lowered down my bow and then bounced it on the ground and they left.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:34 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Well, I would like to try to explain my secrets to you, but how do you explain the unique talent I have for scaring deer away. Some got it, and some ain't.

Last edited by MZS; 11-16-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Spike

everytime I enter the woods the deer run for deer life..no problem
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding educating does to look for danger in the trees. Just climb down and let them run off. 5 minutes later they will have forgotten the whole incident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.