HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ghostblind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/387086-ghostblind.html)

flags 11-15-2013 07:04 AM

ghostblind

Last year for Christmas my wife gave me a Ghostblind. I haven't had the chance to use it since the season this year falls during a time when I'm deployed to the Middle East. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience with them? I set it up in the yard and it appears to be a sound concept but I'm still a little skeptical.

Bob H in NH 11-15-2013 08:10 AM

saw it on TV once. My first impression was "great idea"

My second was "wonder how much it weighs"

flags 11-15-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 4098333)

Pretty light. I'd say about 5 lbs. It comes with straps so you can sling it over a shoulder. Looks like the only drawback I can see is that it is open on top. So if it rains, you're gonna get wet.

I'm curious if it works as well as they say it does. I don't know anybody that has actually used one, hence my question.

MZS 11-15-2013 04:25 PM

Wow, pretty neat blind! Went to their site. I guess the only downfall might be if the sun hits it directly. Would be great for still hunting as you stop at a spot and wait. I could see it more for a gun. For a bow, you would have to be above the blind a bit - for a 20 or less yd shot you would get probably get busted drawing back, even with the slots. For a longer shot maybe not. For a crossbow and a 40 yd shot it would work great. Nice to have a light portable stand that needs no brushing in. Give it a try!

flags 11-15-2013 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 4098461)
Wow, pretty neat blind! Went to their site. I guess the only downfall might be if the sun hits it directly.

I was kind of concerned about that too. When I set it up in the yard to check it out I shined a flashlight on it to see what happened. I was kind of surprised because it is angled slightly forward so there was no reflection back. It directed it to the ground about 3 ft in front of the blind. So I don't think the sun will have much of an affect on it.

I'm not much of a stand hunter but this one intrigues me. It would be good for setting up real quick on trails or crossings and then being able to move on. I'm really interested on trying it for pronghorn. I know where a waterhole is in WY that is right out in the open and the pronghorn love it but you can't get closer that 500 yards without spooking them. But there is this one small patch of sagebrush about 75 yards from it and I think this type of blind would work there.

Now all I have to do is get back to WY and test this theory!:wave:

cdemarse 11-16-2013 04:40 PM

I just dont like the shooting over the top. You get them that far in and then blow it trying to shoot. They sell the extenders that would help but they are not cheap. Neither is the blind.

kellyguinn 01-16-2018 05:40 AM

Hate to bring back an old thread but how do ya like the Ghostblind flags? I ran into a few problems this past weekend with some cagey public land deer in a 600 yrd by 100 yrd food plot. Any changes anywhere on the field edge and they noticed right away. I tried natural blinds and a popup. I even just sat up against a tree with brush in front and the buggers still busted me right as they walked into the field. Was thinking something like the Ghostblind would work better out there. Little worried about bow hunting from it but figured I'd ask someone that would spit the truth about the blind and not blow smoke.

Hatfield Hunter 01-16-2018 08:19 AM

I buy up old artificial xmas trees, 6 to 7 or so feet tall, I place them in a circle about 8 feet side to side outside diameter, I then place a swivel barstool in middle, all critters quickly get used to this blind as they do not know difference of artificial or real, had deer bed down in blind, seems to last almost for ever also, I get most of my tree,s for as little as $5 bucks each, the tree,s also make natural v shooting lanes. a few years ago I shot a 7 point 2 feet from blind

flags 01-16-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by kellyguinn (Post 4325824)
Hate to bring back an old thread but how do ya like the Ghostblind flags?

They work pretty good. You can virtually disappear with one. One thing is they don't have a top so if the weather is bad you are going to get wet. But they allow you to set up anyplace and you can ambush a blind shy deer because you can set up where they least expect it, even on bare dirt. I used mine to ambush a deer on a heavily hunted public area in VA by setting up in the middle a harvested soybean field where the deer wasn't expecting a hunter.

OutdoorsinTexas 01-16-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH (Post 4098333)

These were my same two reactions. :)