Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

8pt 11-13-13 Wakefield,VA

Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default 8pt 11-13-13 Wakefield,VA

Got a late start to my afternoon hunt but it worked out great. I left work at 1:30 to make the 1hr 15min drive to my clubs land in wakefield. I had my 9yr old son with me hoping to get a shot at a nice buck. We get to the farm and my dad was picking beans and my son decided he wanted to ride along instead of sitting in the cold. It was 41 at 3:15 when we arrived and thats not including the wind chill. I couldnt blame him for wanting to stay warm. Well i leave him with my dad and i head to the field i was going to be hunting which was about 800yds away. Once i get there and get dressed and ready i set my decoy up and climb a tree, i look out in the field and it was exactly 4pm, there was a 4pt coming out the woods across the field, 293yds away. He was walking along the edge of the woods and field making scrapes all over. After a few minutes my stupid decoy falls over from a nasty gust of wind and the small buck began to run across the field towards me. He ran to 4 does that had just came out at the same time. Its now about 4:30 and small bucks from spikes to small 8's are coming to the field. At 4:55'ish i see a nice buck over 300yds away and now the wind has basically quit and i bang the horns together and start grunting and he came running. So did a nice and old 6pt that was almost completely grey, he came from behind me, and went straight to the field. I sat and watched to see what the bucks were going to do, but once the big 8 stepped into a shooting lane i shot and he fell in a pile and didnt move. The big old 6 jumped back into the woods and all the does ran off. A decent 8pt actually came running from across the field and ran right to my buck and puffed up and was grunting at my buck and tried to fight him. After a few minutes he ran off. Its now about 5-5:10 and more bucks were coming back into the field. I called my dad to tell him what happened and to get him and my son to come see the deer. Biggest buck i've shot in my 20yrs of hunting.
Attached Thumbnails 8pt 11-13-13 Wakefield,VA-8pt11-13-13.jpg   8pt 11-13-13 Wakefield,VA-b-8pt.jpg  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Also, he was 19 1/4" wide and only weighed 128lbs. Really small body for the area. When my dad and son got to the field with me, they saw another really really nice buck where this buck had came from. Maybe we will get him saturday. Hopefully my son will
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good one. Is your kid disappointed he didn't go?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

He was kinda upset that he didnt get to go but he said he had stayed warm. lol He was just as excited as i was though. He was happy to see him on the ground and to hold him. He said he has new wall decoration also.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

My goodness, the length of those tines!

Congrats on your fine buck~
Old 11-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Spike

Great story! Congrats on your biggest buck to date.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

nice and wide...congrats
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck congrats
Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Nice!! Congrats
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck.

Did you happen to stop at the Virginia Diner for some ham biscuits to celebrate? Great place to grab a bite. My wife and I hit it every time we go through Wakefield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.