Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Woods Went Dead

Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Young bucks chase early cause they just don't know any better...
Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Experiencing the same in WI right now. If there are not a lot of big bucks in the area or small bucks for that matter the buck sign will not be there and nor will the typical rut activity. If there are very few does the same will happen. I have 2 different areas. They both are normally good, however this year seems to be a long drawn out rut which started back in late October around the 26th. In one area, where there are fewer deer, it seems like its done and the other where there are plenty of deer it seems like it is just getting going.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Spike

Had something similar happen to me as well! The weekend of the 26th I saw some chasing going on and have seen nothing since.

Someone was registering a nice drop tine at the gas station and said they were chasing pretty good all day!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

This is what happened here in Virginia where I hunt.. Bucks were starting to chase a little on the 11th.. on the 12th that cold front you speak of came in. With that cold front came a lot of wind. All the deer I was seeing all day were bedded down out of the wind. This evening well yesterday evening now... about 3 pm the wind finally calmed down. At 4:30 I had killed an 8 pointer, the second buck I seen chasing does in an hour. Was wind a problem there also?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kenified06
This is what happened here in Virginia where I hunt.. Bucks were starting to chase a little on the 11th.. on the 12th that cold front you speak of came in. With that cold front came a lot of wind. All the deer I was seeing all day were bedded down out of the wind. This evening well yesterday evening now... about 3 pm the wind finally calmed down. At 4:30 I had killed an 8 pointer, the second buck I seen chasing does in an hour. Was wind a problem there also?
I don't remember a lot of wind. What just threw me off was how suddenly it seemed to stop. An experienced friend of mine said it should be in full swing Nov 13-14 but it seemed to be more like the 11thish.... I just figured the full on phase (if you can call it that) would be longer in duration. Where I hunt there is a high population of both bucks and does. I don't know the ratio. It's public land and for some reason has always produced a lot of nice bucks. You could nearly go back to the same trees and find fresh rubs (big ones) year after year. I was just wondering if that is "normally" the case.... It would abruptly stop? Or maybe the activity of chasing would ramp back up again. We are also nearly at 3/4 moon which may have an effect on movement times.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Don't know whats going on here in my part of minnesota, its currently our rifle season, and all we have been seeing are fawns. its like the bucks and does have just disappered. these poor fawns are looking so sad they just wander around like they have lost there best friend.. I remember a time when the rut was on you always saw does being chased by bucks all day. now I wonder if the deer have changed there courting ritual. it seem now when the does are in estrus they just stay put and the bucks with them.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Update with regards to OP

Things picked up yesterday. It was 26 degrees and we are nearly full moon. Saw a buck cruising early morning around 7 and then some does around 8. At around 9 there was major chasing going on. I saw a buck hot after a doe; pretty much at a dead sprint. About 15 minutes later another 8 point was cruising about 60 yards.... Hit the grunt tube a couple of times and he came right at me.

I am not sure what the difference is between Monday and today because it seems like the woods got quiet with nothing moving on Wednesday. Only difference was I gambled and didn't hunt a fsvorable wind which could have been it.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the rut is on here...I had a group of does around my game cam...now they are not around much...except after dark...and theres a few big bucks around chasing them off or around.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Smaller bucks chasing the doe's all over the place here today... big bucks still kind of hanging back.