Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Woods Went Dead

Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Woods Went Dead

Got a question about rut peaks and valleys. Around Oct 31 some guys had said they saw some chasing going on. I had not seen any sign of it and neither did a buddy of mine. We saw deer but no chasing. November 9 my buddy said he saw 3 bucks chasing. On November 11 I saw several bucks on does driving in and multiple bucks chasing in the stand. This morning (13th)... Saw a few deer driving in but nothing with them and the woods were dead. We had a cold front come in yesterday and the temps went from 65 daytime to 23... With a high of 40 today. I thought for sure they'd be moving. I've read there may be a lull because bucks could be locked on does for 2-3 days and then start searching again. What is your experience and thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

When the bucks are chasing the does that is just the chase phase. Once the rut really starts there won't be any chaseing just a buck following a doe till she has gone out of heat normally 24 to 48 hours then he will find another doe in heat.

Al
Old 11-13-2013, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The last time out (yesterday from 1:00PM-5:15PM) I saw nothing at all, and on Monday I saw one spike in the morning and one doe at 4:30PM. That's it!!! The Rut doesn't seem to have the pazazz (sp) it once had. For the record, I got most of my trail cam pics from the last week of Oct to the first week of Nov.

Last edited by early in; 11-13-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I was out in PA over the weekend Nov (9) and saw zip morning and night.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by early in
The last time out (yesterday from 1:00PM-5:15PM) I saw nothing at all, and on Monday I saw one spike in the morning and one doe at 4:30PM. That's it!!! The Rut doesn't seem to have the pazazz (sp) it once had. For the record, I got most of my trail cam pics from the last week of Oct to the first week of Nov.
That was sort of my question. There was a lot of activity Monday. By activity I mean I heard grunts, saw 3-4 bucks etc... Even had one walked under my stand, look at me, grunt and then head out. This morning it has been dead. It. Could be one of those mornings I just don't see anything .... I was just wondering about rut behavior..
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just like the yoop said. Once a buck finds a doe he's not going anywhere. Just sits waitng with the doe. But you still may get a buck that just left a doe trying to find another.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The misleading part IMO is the bucks really don't have phases.....the does do.

Doe runs......bucks chase. When she stops running he stops chasing.

the does have phases and the bucks just react accordingly.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

My wife has phases.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
My wife has phases.
exactly...and I bet you react accordingly.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, religiously accordingly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.