Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Thoughts on leaving your climber attached to the tree. >

Thoughts on leaving your climber attached to the tree.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thoughts on leaving your climber attached to the tree.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

prob doesn't disrupt the deer but...it could get stolen...that's what you have to worry more about.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually take mine in at night, only because I don't hunt the same location two consecutive days. I have left them on a tree during draw hunts on public land, but I have a long cable that I run through the platform and climber and around the tree that locks. That and I'm 6'4" or so and I leave it as far up the tree as I can reach. I won't make it easy if someone wants to steal it.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I knew a guy who had a hang on tree stand. He left the stand in the tree 20' up and either carried just the steps in or in one location he hung it 10ft off the ground and carried out a ladder and climbed to his stand.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I left a Hunter's View climber attached to a tree for the entire deer season in 2005. The location was the top of a steep ridge on private land accessd by a dirt road that crossed a creek. No thefts occured to my surprise. I would not try that with my Summit climber or on any land easily accessible to others, which is 99.9% of the landscape.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I leave mine on a regular basis just not for a very long period of time depending on what the weather is calling for. I do not like to leave it when they are calling for rain!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never had mine spook a deer and I leave it about knee high on the tree. Typically carry it in Saturday morning, and then carry it back when Im done hunting for the weekend on Sunday evening.

I hunt a big family farm with a bunch of people. I could leave a Gold watch hanging on a tree and it would still be there when I came back. Just good old county folk.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm actually planning on putting my Lone Wolf of a tree Saturday and leaving it there until gun season starts the following Friday. Its been in a shed for the past year so I doubt it has any foreign scent (we don't use the shed anymore). I left one on a tree on private last year for two days. The second night I killed a 140" 40 yards from the tree.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it would depend. I don't do a lot of tree stand hunting to begin with. I'd much rather still hunt. But I have done it. Most of the time, if I do use a stand it is in some really thick nasty stuff. I would consider leaving it on public ground for 2 reasons:

#1) It would make less noise to take it in once and leave it. No knocking against trees or brush or scraping noise while attaching it to a tree.

#2) People are basically lazy and since I go into the thick nasty stuff I don't see many others back there. The odds of it being found and stolen are pretty remote.

On the private land I hunt, no problem. Leave it all season if I wanted to.

But sitting in a tree is a last resort to me. I just don't have the patience to sit in a tree for hrs on end. I'd rather slip through the woods and walk up my deer even if the odds of success are lower.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it on my lease but I worry about leaving it. I attach a cable and lock for a little more piece of mind. It won't stop a determined thief but may slow them down a little.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The pressure

Tree stands are left on trees, because it is easier not to carry the stand back in the woods in the morning. Or the days after that. Hunters do a lot of things because it is easier.

Tree stand thiefs study human nature. The stand may not be deep off a trail or road. It may be near an open field;even taken in with some vehicle. It might not be camouflaged. Too much time and trouble.

But for every hunter who spots you in a tree stand, it might be a potential thief. And all he has to do is record it on a gps as a waypoint, and check the tree stand waypoints another day.

Life isn't getting easier for leaving tree stands in the woods.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-14-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.