Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you guys feel about hunting in the cold? >

What do you guys feel about hunting in the cold?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you guys feel about hunting in the cold?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Banned

Default What do you guys feel about hunting in the cold?

I want to know if you guys know a better way to stay warm longer. I hunt in minnesota and it gets pretty cold up here
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Eat a lot of carbs the day before. Carbs give long term energy which allows your body to function longer. Avoid booze and caffeine. Eat well and don't load up on garbage.

Take an aspirin an hr or so before you head out. Aspirin thins the blood and it will help your fingers and toes stay warmer because the blood will flow easily through the capillaries. Take an addition aspirin every couple of hours. Stay hydrated.

Wear layers and make sure none of the layers are too tight. You need a dead air space for insulation. If you have a military surplus store handy see if they have any military issue extreme cold weather gear. It works very well and is designed to survive rough treatment. Always wear a hat and good gloves. Turtlenecks are good because they seal off the neck. Baklavas are worth their weight in gold and WindStopper is worth its weight in diamonds!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

You have to be able to accurately shoot. So if you are shaking like a leaf on the verge of hypothermia, you won't even be able to shoot a gun, much less a bow. And sometimes a bow will not work right in cold temps so you better test it in cold temps by leaving it outside for a few hours in the cold and then target shooting. Otherwise, I can put up with some cold feet. Coldest I hunted was -8F, from the ground with a gun - I was only out a few hours that morning, but got my deer. Shake hand warmers can really come in handy.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

I wonder about scent being detected from chemical hand warmers.

Silly concern?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Flags has some good suggestions. Proper attire is the only thing i focus on but it doesn't drop too low in NC maybe 20's late season.

Another note, if you do lair up and are thicker then you ever been i would suggest practice shouldering the gun or whatever your using in your gear. The feeling is slightly different or less smooth and you may also notice your eye relief may change slightly. Just something to take into consideration before your trying to aim at something.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

A lot of heat escapes from the head and neck area. I wear a small fleece pull over that goes around my neck and it has a very thin nylon material that covers my head. I bought it when I used to ride snowmobiles. I put that on then a good heavy hat. I can pull the fleece piece part way over my face if I need to when it gets really cold. A good pair of boots is also important. My feet used to be the first thing to get cold, not anymore.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NEhomer
I wonder about scent being detected from chemical hand warmers.

Silly concern?
Yes. I use those disposable hand warmers (they work) all the time, and I've never had an issue with deer smelling them. I've had numerous deer walk directly under me without incident. I always use them in the cold, and swear by them. Also, I've been using some that I had left over from last season and they still work well. I've heard folks ask about the life of these things in the past.

Last edited by early in; 11-13-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Spike

Its been cold up here in Mn...yesterday it was 5 above when we walked (6:15) out to the stands.

My water bottle had ice in it when I needed a sip around 8am. I used Heat-factory handwarmers and toe warmers and never got cold even though it was kinda windy.

One thing that I do is to walk out nice and slow, DON'T get all sweaty, and I usually just wear a hoodie or jacket while walking out and then get into the cold weather stuff when I'm at my stand.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Yup. Perspiration is definitely the biggest culprit.

...and is that avatar pic of you wearin' out frets?!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
I want to know if you guys know a better way to stay warm longer. I hunt in minnesota and it gets pretty cold up here
I use a propane heater in my shed.. I turn it on for a few minutes whenever I get chilly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.