HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First Shot at a deer with Bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386869-first-shot-deer-bow.html)

croc2116 11-10-2013 03:40 AM

First Shot at a deer with Bow

I am a begginer archer and have never shot at a deer yet. Yesterday I had went out for the last hour and fifteen minutes of legal hunting time. It was about 5 minutes left and I heard some deer coming. I shot a doe, thought it was a good shot. I thought I heard her crash. Half an hour later got down and couldnt find arrow and backed out for about an hour. Came back and found blood about 60 yards away. I trailed her down hill through the creek and once I stepped into creek I heard her blow at top of ridge, so I backed out and came back at 10pm. Tracked the blood up a ridge about 3/4's of the way and no more blood. I searched everywhere around last blood for an hour then searched on top of the ridge and all over the side of the ridge and back down to the creek. I got home about 12:30 -1 am. The blood was bright red, no bubbles or matter in it and I found it directly on ground about 10-15 yrds apart, drops and little puddles the size of a large grape fruit. I still haven't found arrow. It snowed and rained last night so I am going back out this am (sunday) to try again. My questions are: Could it have been a superficial muscle hit? Also have I ruined that spot by trying to track her last night? Most of my tracking and being in the woods was about 60 yards away from stand sight across the creek. It is really depressing wondering if deer is dead or suffering.

PS Thanks for those who responded to my previous thread because that got me thinking and out there and you all were right.

Thanks to all that respond

FlDeerman 11-10-2013 05:20 AM

Lol,congratulations on getting a shot.Now how bad were you shaking?To me it sounds like a muscle shot and the deer should be ok.Did you ever find your arrow?That would tell you a lot.There could have been that pesky limb or branch that you couldn't see that diverted you arrow just a little.If she blew at you I would say she's going to be fine and you've made a great effort to try and find her.It's all in the learning process and good luck.

croc2116 11-10-2013 05:28 AM

Thank You FlDeerman. I lived in sarasota Fl for about 3 years doing some saltwater fish farming. How far are you from Sarasota?

rockport 11-10-2013 05:57 AM

What makes you think it was her blowing?

NebBuckHunter 11-10-2013 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4096322)

this. there are other deer in the woods capable of blowing. at 10 pm there is no way to determine it was her.

MZS 11-10-2013 06:47 AM

Often, after you shoot and kill a deer, the other deer will hang around. That deer will blow at you. The deer that you hit will generally be long gone if you hit it. Based on what you said, I would bet money your deer is sitting dead in the woods, probably not far from where you heard the deer blow. Keep looking!

With respect to ruining the spot. Yes, it is probably history for the season. But that is how it goes.

FlDeerman 11-10-2013 06:56 AM

I'm in N.Florida,as far from the gulf as I could get.Got tired of hurricanes.

Wilcam47 11-10-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4096322)

exactly...Ive never had a deer that was shot snort/blow...that was prob another deer. As far as messing up other deer...I don't think it will mess them up much...maybe a few hours.

if it was bright blood its good/better. how good do you think your aim was? if its vitals its close to where you lost the last blood. search in cone shape out from last blood, follow the direction. If its a high shot it could bleed out inside and not lose a lot of blood. but it still wont go very far. Good luck!

croc2116 11-10-2013 10:32 AM

After I waited and started to track her, the blood trail was leading right in the direction of where I heard a doe blowing.

croc2116 11-10-2013 10:34 AM

I left Fl and went to the mounts of NC I really didnt like it much in south florida