Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Intro and Ground Blind Question >

Intro and Ground Blind Question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Intro and Ground Blind Question

Old 11-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default Intro and Ground Blind Question

Good Evening fellow hunters! The question i am about to ask is most likely a common one you all hear from time to time. None the less i am going to ask anyway because i cant seem to find it from any searches i have attempted on the site.

First, let me tell you a little about my self since this is my first post on this forum. Names Michael and i am 31 years old. I have been hunting off and on since i have been 12 with my father and grandfather. I was taught the more traditional methods of hunting. of which i mean... bundle up in cammo, and sit by a tree and wait for the next four legged critter to cross your path. LOL

Well this year i am thinking of changing it up some. For the last few years i have been heading north to the Wisconsin area for their first week of deer season. a few years ago i was lucky enough to bag me a very nice 11-12 point beauty that field dressed at over 220lbs and was estimated at 160 BNC score. I have him mounted in my man cave and i will be sure to post a picture asap.

Heres my question (about time huh) I am looking at buying the new Double Bull, Double Wide Primos Ground Blind. I was looking at one at my local cabelas and i fell in love with it. My issue is i hunt on public property. I am hearing hunting with blinds on public property is a bad idea since you cant get in to set it up as early as possible since most DNR agencies have rules against having anything up longer then 7days. How can i accomplish this feat? I like the idea of using a blind for hunting for several reason.

What do you think? is it possible? can i pull it off? or would it scare the deer away?

Michael
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

I seen some buck activity on the 24th of November last year in one of the fields.. Took my blind over there and sat it right in the field on the 25th and that evening the deer didn't do much more than stare at it now and then. If you can get it up.. cover it with some branches and make it look natural and get in there pretty fast it shouldn't matter much. Id guess on public land they have deer running everywhere anyways.. probably deer coming through that wouldn't know if your blind was ever there or not.
Attached Thumbnails Intro and Ground Blind Question-blind.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Spike

I hunt public property in Michigan. I don't use pop up blinds, the only thing we can do is find brush an make a blind and sit in the middle of it. It works well, you can always use a climber or tree stand with climbing sticks.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking along the same lines as well. We get into the woods fairly quickly and very very early in the morning. I am hear of >2min setup time for this particular ground blind. Finding cover for it in the pitch dark would be difficult though.

I was thinking of buying a tree stand. However, i get cold fairly quickly when i dont move around a little. I think a tree stand would expose me to the elements a little more then a ground blind. However, i will say my first deer was shot out of a tree stand on public property many moons ago. LOL

Do you suggest any tree stands?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

And in state forests, your blind can not be left overnight, must have an ID tag, and during the gun season must have a 1 square foot blaze orange patch on each side. County forests vary in their rules. You might want to go with some camo burlap that you can quickly hang up on surrounding branches and also drape some natural foliage over the sides. The blaze orange markers are a good idea on public land during the gun hunt, even if not required.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Spike

Yea, i think i am going to go with one. Worst comes to worst at least i have a nice place to stay out of the weather. I'll work something out with it up there.

Need to figure out what i am going to do about the orange. Maybe ill get some orange 1x1 squares from Wally world.

thanks for the help!

Michael