Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If you don't wear a harness "Please read this" >

If you don't wear a harness "Please read this"

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If you don't wear a harness "Please read this"

Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

When climbers first came out we would use them without any safety straps. I had no problem going 20 feet then, and would wear my bow or unloaded gun on my back. I shudder to think back then what we did.

Very lucky to not have been "Darwin'd" back then. I can remember having a TSS climber with a plywood base/platform that used a rubber lined metal strap around the tree and trying to climb a tree on a icy morning. I hunted from the ground that day!

N matter the stand I have my Muddy harness with me. Tree walker or ladder stand, It's on me before I go up.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Spike

He sounded like a man of conviction I wound have loved to meet him R.I.P brother
Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

someone I know fell out of a stand about 35 feet up...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Now that's sad. I take it a step further and use the fall guy system too. That way I'm connected going up and coming down. Been trying to get my brother to do the same. I tell him a $100 is cheap compared to him losing his life. Hope someday he'll listen before it's to late.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Spike

This is a quick survey that I made as part of a project for a class that I am currently enrolled in. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who hunts would take this survey.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19Xd...0dyUM/viewform
Old 05-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am one of those that uses a fall restraint anytime I am hunting from a tree stand. I plan to continue doing so .... and 85', man that's wild ! 'Bout 25' is it for me !

I know of two people that have fallen from a tree stand. My brother fell about 12' when his foot slipped off an icey rung. He tumbled down a steep hill and hit a tree on the way down. Doc says that he came within millimeters of being paralyzed from the shoulders down. One of my best buddies did something foolish ... and he's admitted it ... he tried to remove a large, dead limb that was blocking his shooting lane ... before he strapped himself to the tree. Lost his balance and suffered a double compound fracture of one ankle and dislocation of the other, three broken ribs, a punctured lung and a concusion. Both of these guys were dang lucky to have survived so well.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I took a tumble last week and was not even on a stand! I was clearing a trail and "found" a wasp nest in or near the dead tree I cut so I was pulling off the cut pieces from afar. A branch I had hold of snapped and I tumbled back, landing on a pointed stump. Bruised ribs and spleen, but I could barely breath all the way to the emergency room as my wife drove. For a few minutes I wondered if I would get out alive.

Moral of the story is to think ahead - do not rely on a single guard, fastener, or restraint. Be wary of pointed objects you could fall on, even if you are not even off the ground.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If you don't wear a harness - please put me in your will!

I'll take anything.

JW
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Spike

This in probably a dumb question but I am new hunter. I got my first climber last Christmas and I purchased a HHS full body harness as well. I plan on always wearing a safety harness to avoid situations like this. My question is, once I fall out of the tree stand and my harness saves me, then what? I know a safety harness can kill you in a matter of minutes when hanging in it. The obvious answer is climb back into your tree stand, but I notice lots of times a fall is due to a broken tree stand. So then, you’re just hanging in the middle of woods, in your harness, with no tree stand to climb back into. What do you do? You can pass out, and then die in minutes.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Very few things qualify as dumb questions. The harness should come with a tension relief strap of some sort you can use to relieve the stress on your groin area. Then try to lower the base of the climber to where you can get your feet back on it. When I hunted out of climbers I always kept a couple folding screw ins in pockets i could reach in case I did fall and had to get up a little higher to reach the base part of the climber again or even just to relive the pressure. Keep a cell phone where it can be easily reached as well in case for some reason you can't get back on the stand at least you can call for help assuming you have cell phone coverage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.