Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Skinning knife for deer, which one? >

Skinning knife for deer, which one?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skinning knife for deer, which one?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Skinning knife for deer, which one?

I have a pretty large buck knife and have realized it is too big for skinning and cleaning deer. I know this is like ford vs Chevy but wondered if there are a couple of favorites that folks could recommend. I'm less concerned about price but certainly expect most good skinning knives can be had for less than 75 bucks or maybe 100.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

What buck do you have I use a buck 103 skinner, a buck 105 pathfinder to cut off shoulders and loins.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Spike

The buck ergohunter is pretty darn perfect.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Schrade Sharpfinger.
Check it out.

For really fine work the Bird and Trout knife from Smoky Mtn. Knife Works is the cats ass.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

For skinning? Who uses a knife for skinning a deer?
Except for cutting a ring around the legs and two splits across the starting side, I just pull the skin down and literally rip it off..

I've even seen some tie a rope to a 4 wheeler to pull it off in under 5 seconds.

As for gutting, any 4 inch sharp smooth knife will work.
For processing, I like to use something at least 4 to 5 inches long..

Never use a serrated blade.. smooth blade only and frequent use of sharpening stone.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Spike

My skinning knife of choice is a Gerber Gator. Great knife that holds an edge.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tealboy
I have a pretty large buck knife and have realized it is too big for skinning and cleaning deer. I know this is like ford vs Chevy but wondered if there are a couple of favorites that folks could recommend. I'm less concerned about price but certainly expect most good skinning knives can be had for less than 75 bucks or maybe 100.
Huh? Too big?

I don't get it. You don't have to use the whole length of the blade. You can gut and skin a deer with basically any pocket knife.

There is no magic knife that makes the job just so much easier. I mean it is a quick operation to gut a deer and not much more to skin it. Skinning it does not involve any intricate operation. You pull the skin and tease at whatever resists with the blade and any blade that is sharp does it.

Not trying to be an aZZ but you just do it with whatever u got and just make sure it is sharp.

FCOL a good sharp Buck 110 folder or anything similar will do a deer, a bear, an elk or a moose.

I guess what I'm saying is it probably isn't a question of what knife but who's holding it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Spike

I usually use a Buck Woodsman 4" fixed blade, or something about that size. A few years ago, however, I killed a deer, and realized that I did not have a hunting knife with me. My Swiss Army knife's large (2.5" approx.) did the job. It doesn't take a big knife to skin a deer, just a sharp one.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pile of knives, but prefer the Gerber gator. Shorter blade and better control.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

mostly just use my hen&rooster quarter horse stockman that's always in my pocket, to skin and quarter, then a rapala fillette knife for deboning and slicing
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.