Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Skinning knife for deer, which one? >

Skinning knife for deer, which one?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Skinning knife for deer, which one?

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Case XX Changer is a sweetheart of a folding knife. Three interchangeable blades and one saw blade for brisket and pelvis. In the field hard to beat it. I too use a lot of boning knives once the game is home.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

If you skin the deer within a day of killing it, you don't really need a knife at all. And the little bit you do, anything will work. If, for some reason, you want to let it hang with the skin on, your in for more work. My uncle used to hand everything til the end of the season, then process it all at once. He'd have to use a pair of vice-grips to pull the skin off, in that case, the kind of knife might be more important. In my opinion, skin it as soon as you get it home and the skin will pretty much pull right off.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

For skinning i use just a Rapala fillet knife. With the thin blade its nice to cut those little strands that wont rip.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Havalon works wonders.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see any reason to use a hunting knife to butcher a deer at home. Look at butcher knives. I use a swing blade in the field and a forschner curved boning knife to skin/butcher and the rest of the year it serves as a great kitchen/butcher knife as well.

The swing blade is hard to beat in the field. The gutting blade is awesome.

Get something with a good belly on it to butcher so your not just using the tip of the knife. This is why I prefer the Forschner knife. It has a good belly but also a sharp tip. Its great for every thing after the deer is out of the field. I use the outdoor edge zip blade to made the initial cuts which really limits hair flying and covering meat.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are my favorite hunting knives
from left to right OE Swing blade, OE flip n zip, Ka bar bk-17, cold steel pendleton, OE zip blade, lone wolf gut tool, mora 110, bucklite max small, schrade sharpfinger(an old one not the new junk) case ridgeback, buck 110

Small game knives I prefer....Havalon and cold steel bird and trout. I also cape with these.

After I get the deer home these are the butcher knives. I also use these in the kitchen all year around.
From top to bottom dexter russell 7 inch butcher, 6 inch forschner curved boning, dexter russell 6 inch curved boning, forschner 5 inch boning

The winners from field to plate. top to bottom
Outdoor edge swing blade, cold steel bird and trout in the field, and forschner 5 inch boning, and outdoor edge zip blade for butchering.

You can get all 4 for around $100.

Last edited by rockport; 11-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got an old 1916 Marbles Gladstone for skinning and an old Foster Bros Butcher knife along with their boning knife. Picked them up used from a butcher back in the 70's
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Huh? Too big? a good sharp Buck 110 folder or anything similar will do a deer, a bear, an elk or a moose.
My go to blade for most everything.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to carry a Case XX trapper. It worked well for years. Lately I've taken to carrying a Havalon. I like not having to sharpen it since you can change the blade in less than a minute. Plus since it is basically a scalpel, it is wickedly sharp. First time I used it I cut the hell out of my own hand dressing a spike whitetail.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Case XX Changer is a sweetheart of a folding knife. Three interchangeable blades and one saw blade for brisket and pelvis. In the field hard to beat it. I too use a lot of boning knives once the game is home.
That's the knife I carry to find and field dress the deer.When I get it home I have a butchers set and I use most of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.