Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is my hunting spot all dried up? >

Is my hunting spot all dried up?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is my hunting spot all dried up?

I am trying to learn when the deer is coming, I've just heard grunts and noises, Should I change to new tactics? Do I want to add different fruit or acorns? or corn to the bait pile?

Help please, from a frustrated hunter.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you have been at the same spot all along, then probably yes, it is "dried up". Generally, if you get busted once or twice, it is time to move on. There are exceptions, such as you you have a zillion deer and more come in. But by me, numbers are so low this year, that if you get busted once, that spot is history for the year. Right now, you should hunt well used trails and maybe skip the bait and use doe in estrus scent on the trail. Have your blind well brushed in and maybe do a little rattling and calling. After the rut, you could hunt over the bait again - late season can be effective over bait.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MZS
If you have been at the same spot all along, then probably yes, it is "dried up". Generally, if you get busted once or twice, it is time to move on. There are exceptions, such as you you have a zillion deer and more come in. But by me, numbers are so low this year, that if you get busted once, that spot is history for the year. Right now, you should hunt well used trails and maybe skip the bait and use doe in estrus scent on the trail. Have your blind well brushed in and maybe do a little rattling and calling. After the rut, you could hunt over the bait again - late season can be effective over bait.
Thanks man, I did get busted as you say on the Second of day of bow season started!

But there is a lot of other animals still down there, Birds, Rabbits, and possible coyotes!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MZS
If you have been at the same spot all along, then probably yes, it is "dried up".
Could it possible be the noise from surrounding neibors? IE Wood chopping, chain saw use, so on dogs barking keeping the deer away as well?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Green Horn, as you learn more about hunting your going to here the phrase "patterning deer" a million times... Here's a clue... I wouldn't dare guess the percentage, but the overwhelming number of times it's the deer that actually pattern the hunter.

I rarely hunt the same spot more than two days in a row... When I first started using tcams I quickly learned the results of over checking the cams... It only took a few days for the pictures to dry up.

The bottom line is that it's very easy to over hunt a spot/area.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Green Horn, as you learn more about hunting your going to here the phrase "patterning deer" a million times... Here's a clue... I wouldn't dare guess the percentage, but the overwhelming number of times it's the deer that actually pattern the hunter.

I rarely hunt the same spot more than two days in a row... When I first started using tcams I quickly learned the results of over checking the cams... It only took a few days for the pictures to dry up.

The bottom line is that it's very easy to over hunt a spot/area.
Thanks Man, I got a new place I am checking out tonight.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog
Couldn't agree more. 100% spot on.

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Thanks Man, I got a new place I am checking out tonight.
Well ya best get going cuz I think you have about 10 days left before bow season closes and the guns come out.....
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FungusFinder
Couldn't agree more. 100% spot on.

Well ya best get going cuz I think you have about 10 days left before bow season closes and the guns come out.....
Actually bro, I am using a cross bow here in Michigan you can use the crossbow with a permit during rifle season. That's my choice for all game animals from now including Turkey next year
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Could it possible be the noise from surrounding neibors? IE Wood chopping, chain saw use, so on dogs barking keeping the deer away as well?
Actually, most deer don't pay much attention to those sounds. I was just out in a blind last week 60 yds from the fisherman's parking lot, doors slamming and all. Deer came in and only gave the noises an occasional glance. And years back I had a stand only 80 yds back from my constantly barking (but penned up) beagle and deer came in. Deer learn what sounds mean danger and what sounds don't. Snap on a few twigs walking into your stand on a quiet day - that is another story!

Your best bet is to have a variety of stands. Maybe set up several on your own land (if you have it) that are well brushed in and also hunt some other places, like public land. You can make a portable blind that easily sets up on public land and is easily brushed in with some tree branches - see freedeerstandplans.com/deer-hunting-ground-blind.html . Or, build some blinds on public land from natural materials - most states allow this. And if you bait, bait for a few days, hunt, and then move on. If you don't get busted you can revisit the stand in a few weeks, if you get busted, abandon it for the year. Pick your spot according to the weather so you are downwind from your deer. Get out at the end of this season and scout some new locations so you are ready for next year.

Last edited by MZS; 11-04-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Actually bro, I am using a cross bow here in Michigan you can use the crossbow with a permit during rifle season. That's my choice for all game animals from now including Turkey next year
Another thing you will quickly learn, besides being a no it all. Once deer hear the thunder they change into a different wary animal. You can forget trying to bow hunt a gun shy deer.

Most states allow primitive weapons during all seasons, anybody can use a bow during gun season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.