Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is my hunting spot all dried up? >

Is my hunting spot all dried up?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is my hunting spot all dried up?

Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Here is picture of one of the trails.

Tell me what yo think?
Yeah, I don't believe that's a deer trail, like was mentioned, more like varmint. As far as coyotes go, if your hunting on a tract of land as small as you say, and are surrounded by houses, golf course, etc, I doubt any actually live in that area, but use it as a passage to get where they are going.

Why don't you just drive to some public hunting land? People always say public land sucks, but I can tell ya, there's some great opportunities to be had. Get with your DNR, find out where some of the larger public access hunting grounds are at and drive over and scout them out.....

Hunting 2 acres is one thing if its butted up to more forested land ect, but it sounds like yours is nothing more than a small tract inside the suburbs.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Green Horn, I agree with FF, you need to find more Earth too hunt, I didn't realize how extremely limited your situation was.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a camp that had 300+ acres of it's own, with 1000's of acres of relatively little (except by us) hunted state land surrounding it. It was sold in 87, and I spent 10 years hunting public land only until we bought our place in 97. We only own 36 acres, but again I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by 1000's of acres of relatively little hunted(except by me) state land. I'll let you guess whether it was my wife, or myself who chose the property

Now to some books... Mind you these books are regional. The studies were done in Minnesota/Wisconsin, but I'm thinking that Michigan is still close enough for much of the data to pertain too you as well. I've read 8 editions of this guys books. I've spent 1000's of hours in the field with these books, and have found his "data" to be pretty much spot on, tho I've tended to change/mold his methodology's to suit my own situations.

The two editions I've used the most are the 2nd(about the rut) and the 4th (about reading and interpreting sign) but all the editions are pretty good. I see that Amazon doesn't have the 2nd edition available at this time, but they do have the 4th, and I strongly suggest that you buy it if you can. It probaly wouldn't hurt you to get the 1st edition as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...r+Ken+Nordberg

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 11-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you kindly Lunkerdog, and thank you for the advice guys, As soon as deer season is over, I will pick up the books.

I want to become a good - great hunter.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could try a 10 till 2 hunt.Maybe if you change the times you are there you might see something.