HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I got a decoy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386627-i-got-decoy.html)

The Green Horn Hunter 11-01-2013 10:43 AM

I got a decoy?

2 Attachment(s)
First things first, Please keep it civil guys, I am still very new to hunting and wet between the ears sort of thing.

Ok here goes, I set up a new deer decoy and i forgot to wear gloves?

Can I fix my mistake? I did happen to spray the buck bomb "Doe Estrus" around the deer and on it's bum. It's a female doe and a buck with detectable antlers.

"Also" Why did the doe decoy come with removable antlers? And when should I use the Antlers?

So any tips and Advice is mucho appreciated!

bghunter777 11-01-2013 11:53 AM

Putting it up without gloves should not be a problem toss the antlers on her and she will look like a young buck in my experience bucks respond better to a buck than a doe.

The Green Horn Hunter 11-01-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by bghunter777 (Post 4094064)
Putting it up without gloves should not be a problem toss the antlers on her and she will look like a young buck in my experience bucks respond better to a buck than a doe.

Really? I wouldn;t image since the rut has started, Buck is looking to have sex with a doe. May I ask why they respond better?

Lunkerdog 11-01-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter (Post 4094065)
Really? I wouldn;t image since the rut has started, Buck is looking to have sex with a doe. May I ask why they respond better?

Bucks are also trying to defend their territory, a dominant buck will try to run off another buck in it's territory at this time of year.

Right now in my region we're right on the edge of the end of the territorial phase, and the beginning of the primary breeding phase of the rut.

Basically what that means is that bucks will for the most part be abandoning their scrape trails, and will be primarily be seeking does in estrous.

deernutz 11-01-2013 01:30 PM

I say antlers on too.

FungusFinder 11-01-2013 01:49 PM

Im in the antlers off camp myself. During the peak of the rut, I've had better response that way, but I certainly do know that bucks will respond to a buck decoy, sometimes violently.

Personally, I would NOT have touched the decoy with bare hands. A deers sense of smell is 1000s of times more sensitive than ours. If the wind is right, he may catch a whiff of whatever may have been on your hands. Also, NEVER spray the decoy. You now have a decoy that smells like a doe in estrus. Theres more to a decoy than just setting it out. Proper placement plays a role.

The Green Horn Hunter 11-01-2013 02:35 PM

Thanks guys, i'll add the antlers tomorrow, with gloves on!

Lunkerdog 11-01-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter (Post 4094100)
Thanks guys, i'll add the antlers tomorrow, with gloves on!

Ummm... I just had a thought... Your not leaving the decoy out when your not there are you???

Mind you that I've never used a decoy, but have considered it, and done some study on the practice of using decoys for deer.

Leaving a decoy, or even scents out over night when your not there hunting over them is a big no no!!! I'm not trying to chew you out... Just correct a mistake if yer making one.

I'm not sure if your leaving the decoy out, but just got that impression as I read threw this thread again.

FungusFinder 11-01-2013 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog (Post 4094106)
Ummm... I just had a thought... Your not leaving the decoy out when your not there are you???

Good call. Yes, never leave the decoy out, especially a buck decoy. You may find that a mature buck came in and kicked his azz LOL, and you'll have a busted up decoy. I use a decoy and it's HIGHLY effective when used properly.

The Green Horn Hunter 11-01-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog (Post 4094106)

Mind you that I've never used a decoy, but have considered it, and done some study on the practice of using decoys for deer.

Leaving a decoy, or even scents out over night when your not there hunting over them is a big no no!!! I'm not trying to chew you out... Just correct a mistake if yer making one.

I'm not sure if your leaving the decoy out, but just got that impression as I read threw this thread again.

May I ask why?

If I bring back home with me I will leave human scent on it again. And this is privet property too and thank you for not griping me out.

By the way I found some good info.
Your Most Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting With Deer Decoys

Q: How far away from the stand should I put my deer decoy?Bucky Jr Deer Decoy
A: Place your deer decoy within your comfortable shooting range. If you’re confident in a 40-yard shot, place your deer decoy at 30 to 35 yards.

Q: How should I position my decoy when using it as a buck?
A: When a buck approaches a buck decoy, it normally does so head-on, so position the decoy where the buck’s path will take it right by the stand. Position the tail in the downward position and the ears back. Some hunters only use one antler to make the decoy less aggressive.

Q: What are some of the things people do wrong when using a deer decoy?
A: The most common mistakes are: contaminating it with human or unnatural odors, not practicing their own odor control, placing their deer decoys too far away, and placing their deer decoys where they can’t be easily seen.

Q: Which scent should I use with my deer decoy?
A: When setting your deer decoy as a buck, use buck urine and Code Blue Tarsal Gland Gel, but never apply directly to the decoy. Use a scent wick and hang it within feet of the decoy. When using the decoy as a doe, use the highest-quality estrous urine and estrous gel.

Q: Where should I put my deer decoy?
A: Decoys like Bucky Jr. should be positioned in an open area where they can be seen – open woods between feeding areas and bedding areas in the morning and at the edge of food plots or crop fields in the evening are two good starting places.

Q: Can I leave my Bucky Jr. in the field all night?
A: Your buck decoy can be left in the field overnight, but it should be removed from the stakes and laid on its side.

Q: Should I use Bucky Jr. as a buck or a doe?
A: In general, start the season off as a buck and try the doe when the peak nears, but a buck decoy can bring in a dominant buck anytime during the season.

Q: What is the best way to use two deer decoys at once?
A: Set one as a buck and the other a doe. Remove the legs from the doe decoy and prop it in the grass as if bedded. Position the buck decoy several feet behind her.

Q: Can I use my deer decoy during firearms season?
A: No. Carry-Lite’s deer decoys are only for use during archery seasons.

Q: Should I put my deer decoy together in the field or at home?
A: Bucky Jr. comes with a hunter-orange mesh carry bag that makes it easy to backpack to the field and set up there, but some hunters prefer to put it together at home or at the truck and carry it in. If a hunter puts it together then carries it in, he must use the hunter-orange bag draped over his deer decoy’s head to alert any o