Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Holy Crap! Check this out

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Spike

I took that pic up on Balsam Mountain while I was dirt bike riding. I've seen lots of Elk up there. The location is just above Maggie Valley. Check out this guy, I bet he weighs in at 500 +

Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

cant wait for the state to start a lottery hunt or something. Kinda a downer the WRC doesnt keep any information on how the stocks are doing though. Last i heard the herd was around 140-160 elk on the land and estimated mortality for the year is between 8-13 with 20-30 young being reared annually. So hopefully the numbers keep climbing.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Spike

They will, TN has a shrt season, find out more here-http://www.tn.gov/twra/elkmain.html
Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

Dont know where you are located, but the wife and I ride the Harley out to the Gatlinburg/Cherokee area every year. This past Aug we were on 421 from G burg to Cherokee and at the bottom of the hill was a crowd and there were about 40 head of Elk feeding in the meadow. Where we were stopped there was a grand dad of a male and was kind enough to allow my wife to be pictured within about 30yds of him. They are majestic animals to me.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 AM
Spike

I'm well familiar with that meadow.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dougvarrieur
Look what was playing around in my back yard! Re-introduced into the Smoky's a few years back the Elk are really doing well. Waiting patiently for a hunting season !!!!!!!!!!
Are those Montana Bucks?

The color looks like they could be, Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Are those Montana Bucks?

Ok not trying to be mean but if you plan on hunting and wish to progress you may want to learn how to identify animals. That would be an Elk.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default compulsive multi-drafter

Majestic yes! In spite of the wonderous conservation of hunters, I doubt large game populations are up to what habitats could healthily support. Past days I was reading up on Red Wolves and recall that NC has a rather active reestablishment program for them. There was a blip about releasing a few in the Smoky Mtns but they didn't seem to fare well. Those were recapturing and transported closer to the coast. I'm suspious that now the elk are established, you'll have the Red Wolf reintroduced.

Rocky Mtn; or Manitoban; or Rossevelts? Too slender for Tule, these guys are rather red.

Last edited by Sosalty; 11-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Spike

Are those Montana Bucks?
Where did you get the idea that those are "Montana Bucks"?

They are Elk, a Bull and two cows.

But now all cows are created equally. If you see one like the one below, don't shoot it. LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Are those Montana Bucks?

they were imported from the Rockies...so they very well could resemble the Montana Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.