HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Please check your tree stand straps!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386541-please-check-your-tree-stand-straps.html)

Murby 10-31-2013 01:29 PM

Please check your tree stand straps!!

Hey folks,

I'm hearing stories of people's tree stands being sabotaged in ways that could cause an unexpected fall. Third time this season I've come across this issue.

Please check your straps for cuts or other signs of tampering each time you go out!

Bullcamp82834 10-31-2013 01:38 PM

Good advice. The antis believe that they are right and any means toward their goal is OK, no matter who gets hurt. If they will poison your hunting dogs they will have no qualms hurting you .

Liberals.......

MZS 10-31-2013 02:44 PM

Not to mention squirrels - those little devils would cut my straps in a few days if I gave them the chance. We have red squirrels and they are particularly obnoxious that way.

TSR6 10-31-2013 03:20 PM

How often do you guys replace steel tree stands?

I change out straps just about every other year, but the ladder stand has had quite the long life - but is still in good shape.

Night Crawler 10-31-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TSR6 (Post 4093754)
How often do you guys replace steel tree stands?

I change out straps just about every other year, but the ladder stand has had quite the long life - but is still in good shape.

I have 2- 2man stands that have been in the timber for 12 years. I replace the straps every other year.

my other ladder stands I pull out after season as they are set up in hot spots which change yearly with the crops.

Night Crawler 10-31-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Murby (Post 4093726)
Hey folks,

I'm hearing stories of people's tree stands being sabotaged in ways that could cause an unexpected fall. Third time this season I've come across this issue.

Please check your straps for cuts or other signs of tampering each time you go out!

I would really like to catch someone tampering with my stands :devil:

NjHunter85 10-31-2013 06:06 PM

I check my stands a couple weeks before each season each year. I check the straps, the stand, the screw ins or sticks, trim my shooting lanes, clear my path etc etc. It should be routine for every hunter. That stand and the steps to get to the stand is what keeps you safe as long as you take care of it. And like you said some hunters will sabotage you. 2 years ago a friend of mine and me had problems with a local hunter and he actually took my friends screw ins out..drilled the holes bigger and put them back in and when my friend was climbing it the first couple were tight but when he was half way up the tree one of them just fell right out and he fell and has had 3 surgeries on his ankle since then and has pain everyday and a gimp now. needless to say we took care of the problem but people are crazy and you cant trust anyone. Always check your stuff.

WV Hunter 11-01-2013 03:01 AM

Where do you guys get replacement straps? I have a few stands that could use em.

Night Crawler 11-01-2013 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by WV Hunter (Post 4093917)
Where do you guys get replacement straps? I have a few stands that could use em.

Regular ratchet straps from wally world or home craphole I mean depot.

WNYhunter 11-01-2013 06:03 AM

Bullcamp, I hate to break it to you but I would put my money on other hunters rather than the anti's. Every stand we have had messed with were by other hunters. We actually watched them one day years ago.