HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Recommended Sabots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386536-recommended-sabots.html)

TdSchst 10-31-2013 05:49 AM

Recommended Sabots

I bought a new BPS with a rifled cantilever barrel for this year. This weekend I'm headed to the range to find out some sabots that it likes and shoots best, and to zero the scope. I put a Nikon 3-9x50 slughunter on it. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations I should try to save my shoulder some. In the past I've shot Winchester Super-X 2 3/4" out of my old gun, but that's all I ever tried. I have a few boxes left over that I was going to take with. Also would I be better with 2 3/4 or 3"? Thanks

TdSchst 10-31-2013 05:51 AM

Sorry I may have posted in the wrong section

toejoe625 10-31-2013 08:47 PM

the super x sabots are all right thats what my bro uses i use hornady sst 300 gr i used winchester supreme elites one year and they by far the biggest hole i have ever seen using sabots it was like i shot an baseball through the deer didnt have to track far that year they wear also 300gr if you want more acurate i thinck the hornadys shot the farthest out of all three good luck wichever you decide we use 2 3/4 inch on all of our slugs/sabots shot 3' magnums onceit ratled the scope moutns off lol

rockport 10-31-2013 09:23 PM

I'd try the tipped stuff first

Remington accutip
Federal barnes expanders
hornady sst

Its really hard telling what your gun will like though,

Major Woods 11-01-2013 04:37 AM

I shoot the Remington Accutips, accurate and expands to almost a full inch.
Recoverd from doe I shot square in the front chest area, bullet recoverd in the back leg.
Before:

After:

Night Crawler 11-01-2013 05:42 AM

tipped is best

I agree with the no 3'' mag's you will only cry after pulling the trigger...they freakin hurt.

UncleNorby 11-01-2013 05:51 AM

I've had great luck with Brenneke 2 3/4" and 3" KO Sabots (not the other KO slug). They shoot a 63 caliber one ounce slug at 1600 fps. They hammer deer and are very accurate in my Marlin 512.This year I'm shooting Hornady 300 gr sabots, and they are knocking the bullseye out at 100 yds, so I have no doubt they will work just fine on deer.

With slug guns, you just have to find something the gun will shoot accurately. I start with the stuff on the lower end of the price scale and only switch brands if they don't shoot well enough. I don't shoot much past 100 yds, so I don't bother with the stuff around 2000 fps. I tried Hornady H2K once, and my gun sprayed them all over the place.

TdSchst 11-01-2013 09:35 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm pricing them out now and hopefully will try all. Anybody ever use lightfields?

BOWHUNTERCOP 11-01-2013 10:02 AM

Lightfields EXPs work well in many shotguns cause they aren't your typical sabot, with the hot gas upon firing the so-called sabot expands but after 100 yds they drop like a brick !! I would try them, but also the Remington Accu-Tip, Federal Premier Vital-Shok, use 2-3/4" no need to try 3", the only advantage the 3" has is negative added recoil

KBacon 11-03-2013 09:14 PM

My BPS loves Hornady SSTs... killed several deer with these...

At close range I don't get much expansion unless I hit bone...

But I have killed a doe at 193yds out of a box blind once (steady rest)...