Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifled Slugs or Rifled Barrel

Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 AM
Spike

Default Rifled Slugs or Rifled Barrel

Hey guys I plan on doing some public land hunting for the first time this year and can only use shotgun/muzzle. I'm going to use my Remington 870 and was curious if any of you had any advice on whether I should use the smooth barrel I have on it now with a Rifled Slug or invest in a rifled barrel or another option would to be buying a rifled choke?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Rifled barrel is more accurate..
Rifled slug is just fine for short distances under 50yds.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot a buck with a smoothbore/rifled slugs (my first buck) - and when we were restricted to shotguns, I've also shot with a rifled barrell and a good 3-9x50 scope on a slug gun at distances I'd never be able to touch with a smooth-bore.

Ultimately, It comes down to where you're hunting (in the woods?) and your budget - but my personal opinion is to always buy the best you can afford for the situation you need it for.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

A rifled barrel is a lot more expensive and a lot better. Its really a matter of budget and not just initial investment money. Sabot slugs are at least triple the price.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

If you buy a slug barrel for your 870, make sure it has a cantilevered barrel. Otherwise you have to buy a harness that fits over the receiver which adds expense (about $50, I think) and is kind of a pain anyway. I think Mossberg makes a rifled barrel for an 870 (maybe others) and you may be able to do better than Rem prices. (I have a friend who has a non-rem barrel (I think Mossberg) and it works just fine).
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Rifled barrel and its not even close. I have shot several deer over 100yds with my H&R 12ga and my son's 20ga 870 is actually more accurate than the 12ga. Anyways to your point a rifled barrel is the only way to go when you have the choice.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the input.. I figured the rifled barrel would be the better way to go but I just didn't want to drop $200+ on it.. Also The shots I would be taking shouldn't be any long than 70yds max.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by makinbacon06
Thanks for all the input.. I figured the rifled barrel would be the better way to go but I just didn't want to drop $200+ on it.. Also The shots I would be taking shouldn't be any long than 70yds max.
70 yards is too far for a smooth bore w/rifled slug.. it won't hold that kind of accuracy reliably.

When Murdy mention a cantilevered barrel, I think he meant a cantilevered scope mount where the weaver rail is bonded to the barrel itself, not the gun. This is good advice as you won't have to re-zero the scope if you change barrels since scope and barrel are married.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

A little off your exact question and just a thought, you mentioned "shotgun/muzzle". Although every one's posts are correct in that the rifled barrel is more accurate, have you thought about buying a muzzleloader instead? You can get into the sport for near the same cost you are going to drop on the new barrel and the scope cost is the same for both. In Michigan, Muzzleloaders have their own season and extend the hunting season. With practice, they are accurate out to 200 yds, but you have 1 shot. If Texas allows for extended hunting and you like range time, a muzzleoader may be the way to go as it extends your season, can be just as accurate as a rifled barrel and gives you an excuse to grab another gun.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by makinbacon06
70yards is a LOT of a smoothbore/rifled slug. I can't imagine making a clean shot at those distances. I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong - it's been years since I've shot slugs out of a smoothbore.

I'm more of a "shoot out of a rifled barrel @ 150yards" kinda guy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.