Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand

Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Spike

Default Treestand

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was looking for input on a few treestands I have been considering for this upcoming hunting season. I was considering the Rivers Edge Relax Wide, Field and Stream Outpost XL, and the Big Game Skybox Deluxe. I will be sitting in the treestand for two full days, so I would like something comfortable. The Rivers Edge Relax Wide appears to be the most comfortable, but I am worried about leaving it up and the squirrels chewing through it (I leave them up until next season). The Big Game and Field and Stream have removable seat cushions, so this would not be a problem. All of the heights are sufficient, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to which one's are more durable, comfortable, stable, etc. I am open to any advice! Thanks!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the Big Game one. I don't know much about the others but I do have a few big game stands and they are durable. quiet. and like you said it has the removable seat cover so nasty bugs and squirrels wont ruin it. Big Game makes good portable stands as well like the Boss XL.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I own 2 Field & Stream Outpost XL's, older versions. They are nice stands for the money, especially if you buy them in the spring at Dick's. I fold up the seat and stand a lot, but the seat is comfortable enough for me. I looked at the River's Edge Relax Wide recently, and it looks like a good set up (I own a River's Edge hang on, and the quality is fine). I would think (don't know) you'd be able to unbolt the seat and take it in during the off season. I have some Big Game stuff as well (Boss XL, climbing sticks), and it's good too, but I have not really looked at the Skybox.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Spike

All American Treestands has THE best ladder stand. All Aluminum. 20 footer is 60 pounds. It is huge AND light. Removeable seat and backrest.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies! I have read great things about Big Game before, also. Do you think there are any better models made by Big Game for a similar price? And Murdy, is the backrest cushion that you put on the tree comfortable enough for a day long sit? And Gamble, do you know if there are any stores (Gander, Cabelas) that carry the all-American treestand? Any replies are appreciated!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't seen a stand come with anything I would consider a decent pad for the seat or backrest. That is why I buy my own cushions. You can get all kinds of kneeling pads and such for gardening or other jobs that are much more dense that the pads that come with treestands. I have also found the compartmented foam float mats for the pool work well also.

I have found that any pads left out all year not only get dried up, deteriorated and chewed on but for some reason or another they seen to draw wasps or hornets - especially black foam pipe insulation.

My advise is that if you want something you know you can sit on all day you should try it somewhere before you have to use it in the stand.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

"And Murdy, is the backrest cushion that you put on the tree comfortable enough for a day long sit?"

I have not used the backrest, and I'm not even sure if my earlier models came with one. I usually hunt half days, and I flip the seat up and stand more than half the time. And I do usually bring my turkey hunting seat cushion along. I was in Gander today, and as far as a comfortable seat goes, that cloth seat on the River's Edge looks hard to beat.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most comfortable stands I've ever been in are Milennium Stands. Top notch for sure.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

yes there are about 3-4 Big Game ladder stands in the 200-300$ range..If you can find The ODYSSEY one that's a nice stands. it has cup holders and all. and it also has hooks on it to hang your stuff. its like 265$. if you go on big games website its all there. I think that's the best one out of the bunch for the price.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know what your setup hunting is but Big Game makes some cool tripod stands as well. One of them is called the APEX. its only like 125$ its 17' tall has the ladder to climb up and its a single seat pretty big with backrest shooting rail 360 deg. its pretty cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.