Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Parking your cart or 4 wheeler??? >

Parking your cart or 4 wheeler???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Parking your cart or 4 wheeler???

Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Parking your cart or 4 wheeler???

Guys,
I know a lot of you use a four wheeler or electric cart or something to go to your hunting area. Do you feel that where you park it makes a difference? Where do you park yours? Do you throw burlap or camo over it? Of course I don't mean directly under the stand with the motor running! lol
daddus
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

I don't like it anywhere close to where I am to hunt. They hear it come but don't hear it leave.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'd love to have the luxury of having to be concerned about where I parked. I usually walk a mile or two from the truck.

But I do understand the problem.
If I parked within sight of where I hunt I would at least throw a camo net over my ATV.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
I don't like it anywhere close to where I am to hunt. They hear it come but don't hear it leave.
Unless you own one of these, or a side by side. We've used the ole coyote trick of dropping a guy off, and driving away many times. Deer are curious and often come walking down the trail that the wheeler just left on.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

When I used a 4 wheeler I parked it 1/4-1/2 mile from my stand site. About 10yrs ago I bought a "redneck huntin cart" 48V jacked up, Mossy Oak camo electric cart & we actually hunt from it sometimes. I have a large piece of camo, die cut netting that goes around it. Back up into the brush overlooking a foodplot or long straight section of woods trails & it instantly becomes a self propelled deer blind!

Scent wise, if you are in farm country where animals are used to trucks, tractors, atvs etc... I don't think them walking up on one in the woods is anything that scares them. In my area in the fall they DO equate the noise of a running atv with hunters so they'll hightail it away from that approaching noise. That's why I quit using one & went electric. I've lost count how many times we've ridden up on deer & turkeys in our electric carts. The ONLY noise they make is mud or gravel under the tires.

I'll park it under my stand if its in a place where deer aren't likely to bump into it & I know I can get back out of that area without spooking anything like at dark. Scent wise if I have to cross a path or walk down a trail or across a foodplot to get to the stand I'd rather drive the cart than walk & lay a scent trail across that area! There's also some spots that it just doesn't matter, you can sit in a truck or tractor & hunt an area without the deer paying at attention to either. Those are always fun & comfortable, especially with a wife, kids or new hunter that came along.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I only use my 4 wheeler if I get a deer. When I have used it to get in and out much like the parked truck thread usually they don't care about a parked 4 wheeler but sometimes they do. Ive had them almost run into it and not care and Ive had them spook from 100 yards. Once a huge buck spooked even with a camo net on it.

One thing that really matters where I'm at is the engine running. For the most part you can ride pretty close and they don't care but they don't love it when you stop and they run almost every time if you stop and cut the engine.