HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   South Carlina Low Country Buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386436-south-carlina-low-country-buck.html)

Maq Attaq 10-28-2013 06:11 AM

South Carlina Low Country Buck

We went up to the club in South Carolina this past weekend. The temps were perfect, Low 30's in the mornings and it didn't get above 65 during the day. We saw plenty of movement. My brother in law killed a nice 7 pt on Friday night. He came out across a plowed field heading towards the cotton. He stopped at the woodline to lick his branch and freshen his scrape. That was the last time he'll ever check a scrape.

Saturday evening Michael sat on a tripod overlooking three shooting lanes in the planted pines. I had seen 7 does and two small bucks there the night before. At around 6:25, I hear the sing and thump of the rifle go off and my phone rings. He says he shot a decent 6 or 7 pt. Felt like he hit him and heard him running through the thick stuff on his right. He stayed put and we met up with him shortly after that. He found the first sign of blood and we started tracking. We followed blood for about 100 yds or so and it got really thick with Briars. decided to back out and came back in the morning. We looked and tracked blood from sun up till 10 am. We lost the trail after the blood got really sporadic. One drop every 10 yds or so. Hate it when that happens but it is part of the hunt sometimes. I was proud of how he handled himself. From finding the blood, staying on the trail and not wanting to give up on the tracking.

He's all grown up now, his first time in the stand by himself.

AND if you don't bring home the whitetail....we get your shirttail....

SwampCollie 10-28-2013 06:44 AM

I like the board! Enjoyed the story, congrats on the one buck and one shirttail!

jas511 10-28-2013 08:03 AM

Great story, Maq. I also hunt in S. Carolina. I've passed up several nice bucks so far this year. I have a huge buck on my trail cam I am trying to get. May have to get him from a ground blind. Anyway, I enjoyed your story. It's always great to take a kid hunting!

Maq Attaq 10-29-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jas511 (Post 4092731)
Great story, Maq. I also hunt in S. Carolina. I've passed up several nice bucks so far this year. I have a huge buck on my trail cam I am trying to get. May have to get him from a ground blind. Anyway, I enjoyed your story. It's always great to take a kid hunting!

Good luck getting him...what part of SC are you hunting????

jas511 10-29-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maq Attaq (Post 4093144)
Good luck getting him...what part of SC are you hunting????

Thanks, Maq. I am right on the Orangeburg/Calhoun Co. line. About 25 minutes south of Columbia.