HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bad shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386424-bad-shooting.html)

arrow2512 10-27-2013 06:24 PM

Bad shooting

I know a young man that shot 6 doe's this year but found only one.So how else can i tell him he's taking bad shots.I also told him i would come out and help him track his deer for him just call i'll be there .
:rolleye0011::rolleye0011:

Wilcam47 10-27-2013 06:27 PM

slap him upside the head? I hate losing ONE...he needs to go back to the range and practice! Is he even trying to look for them? You can get fish and game an anonymous tip....

SecondChance 10-27-2013 06:30 PM

Just come straight out and tell him like you did us!!!! Tell him that he owes it to the deer. That and take him to practice more before he wounds more!!!!!!!

Murby 10-27-2013 08:54 PM

Hold your horses folks..
It might not be completely his fault.

Last year, when I was checking my equipment a couple weeks before opening day, I discovered that one of the two remaining mechanical broad-heads I had was bent and that it was time to go replace them.
Went to my local sporting goods store and they didn't carry my normal spitfire mechanical heads so I had to substitute another brand that looked similar.. There were differences.. My originals used a friction retainer to hold the blades closed. The new ones used what looked like a buna 0-ring like you'd find in any hydraulic system.
I was actually turned on by the idea of the o-ring since any hardware store would have replacements when I ran out.
Long story short.. I shot 3 deer, lost 3 deer.. all in a 2 week period. I was so pissed off at myself I almost wanted to quit hunting.. I knew my aim was true but couldn't figure out why I could never find my kills.
It turned out, the 0-ring was so strong that it was preventing the broad-head from opening and I was effectively just poking holes in them.. I found this out when I retrieved an arrow that passed right through (completely covered in blood) and stuck in the ground still standing and pointing directly at my firing position.. 0-ring still intact, broad-head still closed tight. Pissed off is an understatement.. but not at myself anymore.. Manufacturer ended up giving me a full refund and two extra packages of any heads I wanted.. shipped free..

Don't be so quick to blame the newbie.. it could be an equipment problem. Not saying it is, just that it could be.

itsslow98 10-28-2013 12:30 AM

Losing 5 out of 6 deer sounds like if hes not spining them and they drop then hes not looking at all. Even a deer shot through both lungs with a field point will die relatively quick.

FlDeerman 10-28-2013 05:34 AM

Sounds like he needs lessons in blood trailing.

SwampCollie 10-28-2013 05:50 AM

Coach him. Plain and simple. Either he is making poor shot decisions or like you said, he just flat cannot shoot. 75% of the hunters in the woods are only mediocre shots. 35% of those couldn't hit the ground with their hat on a good day. If you ever want proof of this, just go to a dove field on opening day.

Bullcamp82834 10-28-2013 06:15 AM

Arrow,
Will this guy listen to you and take your advice to heart?

If so......

Take him back to Hunting Ethics 101.

* it's not OK to wound multiple deer until you finally hit one well enough to kill and recover it. That's just plain wrong.

* practice so much that you know how far you can shoot accurately, and never shoot beyond your ability. Never take a "maybe" shot regardless of the distance.

And so forth.

Sounds like this fellow is so eager to get a deer that he will take any shot he can get instead of disciplining himself to wait for the high percentage shot. He needs a seasoned mentor to emulate.

fishhound 10-28-2013 10:37 AM

There are other possibilities too. This guy may just have some of the worst luck there is. My dad had a similar problem with finding deer for a while. He was practicing alot and was great at the range and from elevated shooting positions. He just had issues with shooting at a live deer because he was thinking about it too much and worrying about the deer ducking the arrow and trying to compensate until he ended up being drawn too long and making a less than great shot. There is just more to the story on this guy probably and would hate to be quick to judge.

hardwoodhank 10-28-2013 11:09 AM

In a way, he is the only one to blame, regardless of equipment failure or his experience with his broadheads. You can practice all day, everyday with field tips, but put a BH on it and its off right or left by a foot and high or low by a foot every time. That's why I have so much confidence with my BH, because they come with a practice BH so I can tune it true.

I have had a few that got away, such as a really good shoulder shot that hit so solid it broke the BH off at the insert, leaving only the part threaded below the tip of insert. I blame that on failure of the BH when the arrow was recovered clean. At 10 yards the chisel tip should have penetrated the shoulder and had partial penetration at least with a 72# draw.

I still took my due diligence to track, grid type for a kill after waiting several hours only to come up with nothing. Perhaps he is wounding the deer and going after the harvest too quickly and just bumping it further. Who knows unless you were in stand with him, or had a blood trail to begin the tracking with.

If he is that unethical to shoot, hear the right sound or see the correct action of the deer post shot, he shoot wait until firearm season and hang up his bow. Im not fond of those I know of to carry a bow and call themselves hunters, just to get an extra month of time in the woods, without shooting a robin hood once in their practice from 20 yards. The "boiler room" shot to get a deer to drop within 75 yards at the most is only about 8-9"'s in diameter.

" />