Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer left overnight

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Spike

Default Deer left overnight

I shot a button buck at sundown last night and couldn't find him in the dark. Found him about 10 am this morning. It was in mid-thirties last night. Seemed ok- just clipped the stomach a bit, he was walking when I sot. Didn't smell bad, iced him down and poured baking soda over meat.
my question is that when I found him(about50 yards in the woods) he had a froth around his mouth, thick like merengue. He was the one I shot the night before and was with a single file line of two other bucks and three does, and apparently they laid beside him in the night. but I've never seen a deer froth at the mouth. And I sure don't want rabies! I figured that his breath could have froze around his mouth.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the temperatures did not go above the mid thirties the buck should be good to eat! The froth is probably just his gasping for breath.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had to let 2 deer sit in the woods overnight and my best hunting buddy has also had 2 deer lay overnight. As long as the temps are cool the meat is very much OK!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The froth is normal.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Spike

Bacteria typically starts growing in temperatures 40 degrees and higher. If it stayed in the 30's, it's probably fine.

As far as frothing at the mouth, a symptom of EHD & AHD is foaming at the mouth. The articles below have more information (Google: Deer frothing at the mouth). In all the years I've hunted I've not harvested a deer that foamed at the mouth. I'm not saying this is something you should be concerned about. Just do some research and make your own call. You could call your local warden/game department and ask their advice.

http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/c.../2012/08/1262/
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/...adenovirus.pdf
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=285093.0
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Meat should be fine. Never heard of the baking soda thing though.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Meat should be fine. Never heard of the baking soda thing though.
I agree, venison will be fine, Whats with the baking soda?? curious minds need to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Spike

Default deer left overnight

Several years ago I was told my an older hunter that if you cut into stomach accidently, you should pour baking soda over the area to neutralize any stomach fluids( sorta like us taking alka seltzer for excess stomach acids) I tried it once before on a deer I had gut shot and there was no gamey taste. Also he told me to pour black pepper over all exposed meat in warm weather to keep flies and other insects off. that works too and washes off easily, and what stays doesn't bother the meat.
One more thing- I'm a meat hunter. Taken my share of bucks, but also does, and a couple fawns, also have let plenty of them walk. I love to hunt for deer, I started a few years ago butchering my own and since have never tasted "gamey" meat Go figure!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Spike

Default deer left overnight

You know, I have never heard of a deer frothing at the mouth either, but I have never gut shot one and left it overnight. Turns out that "Rockport" is one of few people that know it is normal. Talked with a wildlife biologist who said the deer probably died of "aspiration" due to contamination from the stomach contents. He also asked which side the deer was on when I found him. Apparently this "foaming" occurs more often to deer who expire on their right sides. This is interesting because I also found out that bucks usually sleep on their right sides facing into the wind with their heads downhill.
I also talked to a taxidermist who said it was very common to gut shot deer and that some hunters have actually tracked the deer by the froth.
THANKS to all for the help.