HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Privet Dwelling question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/386387-privet-dwelling-question.html)

The Green Horn Hunter 10-26-2013 07:07 AM

Privet Dwelling question?

If you have a private Dwelling, And you have deer trall that goes right by you're porch or back yard? How illegal would that be to take one from your back yard or your back porch? I know a lot of people take one from there back windows but still tag them properly and according to the laws of our state.

JagMagMan 10-26-2013 07:19 AM

You didn't say if you are within the city limits or not. If you have a license and the deer is properly tagged, I don't see any problems other than if you are within the city limits. Local ordinances may not allow hunting or discharging a firearm.

uncle matt 10-26-2013 07:44 AM

Yes there are variables and they depend upon where this dwelling is located.

What state?

What municipality?

But even in the most ideal circumstance there would almost certainly be a restriction on hunting within a certain distance of other dwellings or roadways.

Gangly 10-26-2013 07:54 AM

We have a city ordinance that a firearm cannot be discharged within 500 feet of a residence. So if a neighbor was within 500 feet of you when your fired your rifle and they wanted to cause a problem, you are S.O.L. If no neighbor within 500 feet, you would be fine. But that's our area, yours may vary.

The Green Horn Hunter 10-26-2013 08:02 AM

Thanks guys, Let me give you some info, Its in the country on 3 acres of land. That's pretty much it.

olsaltydog 10-26-2013 08:17 AM

By country I assume you are confirming county, and as others asked or pointed to are there houses around this property within 500ft?

The Green Horn Hunter 10-26-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by olsaltydog (Post 4092291)
By country I assume you are confirming county, and as others asked or pointed to are there houses around this property within 500ft?

County yes I meant county, And to answer the question. No there is no houses that close.

Murdy 10-26-2013 11:47 AM

Depends a lot on local law. As I recall, when I grew up in Wisconsin, you couldn't discharge a firearm within a certain distance from a dwelling -- not sure if there was an exception if it was your own dwelling.

sachiko 10-26-2013 01:24 PM

In Michigan, you can't discharge a firearm within a certain distance of a dwelling. I think its 100 yards. So if you shot from your porch, you would be violating the law and would have to turn yourself in.

But then you could exercise your 5th amendment right to refuse to testify against yourself and the case would be dismissed.

:sheep:
May The Sheep Be With You

CalHunter 10-26-2013 01:43 PM

It's kind of hard to answer your question without knowing how close your neighbors are, if you live inside city limits, next to a highway, school, etc. Plus, Michigan laws might be very different from other states' laws.

You should ask HNI member cr422--he's a lawyer in Michigan, hunts and is likely very familiar with the applicable laws in your state. He's usually in the Political forum but has a few other forums he frequents too.

You would likely have to research 4 sets of paws for your question for sure. State laws, county ordinances, city ordinances (if you live inside city limits) and your state's fish and game laws.

Your state, county and city laws/ordinances may or may not restrict you from shooting by a neighbor's residence, near a road, in a city, etc. Hunting restrictions should be covered by Michigan's fish and game laws.

In general, fish and game laws prohibit a hunter from shooting an animal within a set distance from somebody else's residence (150 yards in CA for instance). This F&G law doesn't apply to a homeowner hunting on his own property (residence) in CA. Michigan may or may not be different.

This is just generalized info for you to follow up on. Like I said, ask cr422 and he can probably quote you the applicable laws to the letter.

p.s. cr422 is Sachiko's hubby. She could let him know about your question. :biggrin: