Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Privet Dwelling question?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Sitting and waiting for an animal is luring then shooting may it be a bow or a gun.

That's not hunting by your standards.

I think we were talking about shooting game off your back porch.
You're right, that's not hunting by my standards.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I think we were talking about shooting game off your back porch.
You're right, that's not hunting by my standards.
Sitting in a tree isn't either, and luring the animal with a call isn't hunting either.

Anyways I will be sitting underneath the porch it will act as a ground blind.

Here is my 2 cents, The only real hunting would be walking in the woods stealth mode and go to the deer.

But that's just me. And before we get mad at each other let's stop here and now and caring on man?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

in wv, if someone complains you can be ticketed for shooting within 500 ft of any dwelling, even if you own it, yep stupid but its the law.
RR
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Spike

Sitting in a tree isn't either, and luring the animal with a call isn't hunting either.

Here is my 2 cents, The only real hunting would be walking in the woods stealth mode and go to the deer.

But that's just me. And before we get mad at each other let's stop here and now and caring on man?
???

Sitting in a tree is not hunting? Let's see. One goes out several weeks ahead of opener, starts checking the trails, looking for bedding areas, feeding areas, funnels, ridge lines, amount of cover available and so on then sets a tree stand up in the ideal location in the hopes of harvesting a deer based upon several factors. Yeah, I think every one here would pretty much agree that that is hunting. Is NOT always about stalking your prey, sometimes ambushing it works pretty well too.

Sitting under your porch? Are you kidding me? That negates the very spirit of hunting. Might as well place a big ole bait pile out in the yard, stay inside where it's warm sipping coffee. Hell, you don't even have to take your pajamas off...

I know you are a "New Hunter" or new to the hunting world, but simply killing an animal does not make you a hunter. Hunting is not solely about killing. A hunter is someone who has a profound respect for the animal they are after. Hunting is something that is as deep and complex as ones soul. A connection to the outdoors that can't be had or understood by a handful of trips to the woods, but rather developed over a lifetime and with each passing season, learning more than you knew the previous year. It's not a fad or a hobby, but a way of life.

Personally, I'd much rather spends countless days scouting my area, looking for sign, watching the landscape change along with the seasons, sitting in my tree stand while squirrels chatter, songbirds chirp, crows caw and NOT see a deer than shoot one from the comfort of my house. My 2 cents, that's like fishing in an aquarium.....
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Spike

By that logic is going to the grocery store farming?? your lunacy astounds me.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Spike

You've posted that you are a new hunter learning. You ask for the opinions of others then you tell them are wrong and you are going to do what you are going to do anyway. I think you were hoping for someone to say "it's ok to hunt from your porch or your bedroom window - hell I've shot groundhogs while I was in the shower" but the fact noone went along with you - you are getting upset. Getting warm?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Anyhoo, I'll just hunt in the ground blind, Thank you alot for the insite guys, And yes i am still VERY MUCH A GREEN HORN...
Old 10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sitting in a tree isn't either, and luring the animal with a call isn't hunting either. How successful have you been in employing either of these methods??? Why don't you tell/show us just how easy these methods are???

Anyways I will be sitting underneath the porch it will act as a ground blind. Hell, I've seen my dogs alarm at a ground blind, so... Explain again... Just how easy is this method of hunting???

Here is my 2 cents, The only real hunting would be walking in the woods stealth mode and go to the deer. Been there done that, one of my biggest bucks, a 210lb 8 pointer was taken while still hunting on a windy day. BTW, I hit him between the eyes with a model 94 30/30 with a peep sight at about 50yds

My nearest neighbor in any direction is a mile away. This pic was taken from my backdoor.

I've also watched 3 bucks feed together (Early October) from the same door... I would never consider shooting any of them from the house, porch, or even standing in my yard.

If you think that shooting from your porch is no different than shooting from a tree stand, ground blind, or using calls, you really are a green horn... But ya ain't no hunter!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Lighten up everyone, someone says something that isn't "politically correct" and the feeding frenzy is on. I wouldn't shoot out my window or off my porch, but I would have had no problem setting a stand on the rather small chunk of land I grew up on (2 acres) next to an agricultural field in what I would have considered my backyard.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, fair enough Murdy, and Fair enough Green Horn as well.

Mind you that I've been hunting whitetails since 1972, and shot my first deer in 1976.

When I see an admitted new hunter trying to justify hunting from a porch, and trying to relate it to hunting from a tree stand, a ground blind, or using calls it does offend me a bit.

I've been watching deer out of windows for decades... When I was 10 years old I wanted to shoot them from there... My Grandfather quickly cured me of that.

Mind you that this thread was on it's 3rd page before I decided to weigh in, but it got to the point that I felt that it was time to give an opinion... Yeah I know... Opinions are like *******'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.