Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cover scent question

Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I think the dog thing can be a little misleeding. The dogs are trained to track a certain scent. You can take a tracking dog to a persons car and let them get their scent and then track it. Or you can take them to the place an animal was injured and they can find their scent and track them. If you cover yourself in scent killer/frsh earth/fox pee and then let a dog start tracking you they will likely find you following the scent of the scent killer itself, or the fox pee, or what ever you are using.

A deer is not a tracking animal so just because a trained dog could find a person who walked into the woods does not mean much to me. The deer may or may not smell the fresh earth/scent killer/ fox pee, if that particular scent alerts them to danger then they will pobably go the other way. If they treat it the same as the other 10 million scents they smell each day then they will probably not worry about it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I think the dog thing can be a little misleeding. The dogs are trained to track a certain scent. You can take a tracking dog to a persons car and let them get their scent and then track it. Or you can take them to the place an animal was injured and they can find their scent and track them. If you cover yourself in scent killer/frsh earth/fox pee and then let a dog start tracking you they will likely find you following the scent of the scent killer itself, or the fox pee, or what ever you are using.

A deer is not a tracking animal so just because a trained dog could find a person who walked into the woods does not mean much to me. The deer may or may not smell the fresh earth/scent killer/ fox pee, if that particular scent alerts them to danger then they will pobably go the other way. If they treat it the same as the other 10 million scents they smell each day then they will probably not worry about it.
I agree about the dogs.

On the other part why carry other scents in with you when there are already 10 million scents in the woods? If your scent can be covered won't those other 10 million scents already be doing that?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

There is no way scent killler can work. When we walk in the woods every time we take a step the air in our boots go poof, poof, poof. It is letting air out and with it comes scent spores scent bombs. And when ya walk and move your arms, scent escapes from your arm pits and does the same. Then your hair does it too. The wind carries it till it sticks on branches and grass where you just walked. The only way to stop it is to put your feet in a plastic bag and tie them tight. This might work a bit but damp feet are cold feet. I wish I had 1/10 of 1% of the profits the scent spray compaines made.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I smoke cigarettes so my scent is already covered.

More often I have to put my butt down because something is coming in, and I sill need two hand to shoot !
Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I smoke cigarettes so my scent is already covered.

More often I have to put my butt down because something is coming in, and I sill need two hand to shoot !
Kodiak wintergreen for me. Deer love a good dip or smoke.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

They don't spook when they smell smoke or chew. That isn't scent, it's a smell and there is the difference.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
There is no way scent killler can work. When we walk in the woods every time we take a step the air in our boots go poof, poof, poof. It is letting air out and with it comes scent spores scent bombs. And when ya walk and move your arms, scent escapes from your arm pits and does the same. Then your hair does it too. The wind carries it till it sticks on branches and grass where you just walked. The only way to stop it is to put your feet in a plastic bag and tie them tight. This might work a bit but damp feet are cold feet. I wish I had 1/10 of 1% of the profits the scent spray compaines made.
All I can say is I spray scent killer on my legs and boots and have had deer follow down the same trail and never alert.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
All I can say is I spray scent killer on my legs and boots and have had deer follow down the same trail and never alert.
I don't use spray and ive also had deer follow down the same trail and not alert
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

I use spray scent killer and I have had deer spook crissing my trai. I havve had them not spook as well. Seems most of the spooked events were close to stand though.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I don't use spray and ive also had deer follow down the same trail and not alert
I'd say then don't use it,you don't hunt near me so go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.