Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First post and need help!!

Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default First post and need help!!

Hey guys. This is my first post and I am in need for some advice. Attached is a picture of where I hunt. Red indicates my stands. Blue indicated a creek. Yellow is deer trails. Gray is turkey trails. Green is food plot. White and pink are how I get in and out of woods. OK so here is my problem. I am not seeing any deer. I wash clothes in scent killer pit them in a scent defree container yada yada
I know they are there because I have found scrape lines and rubs but the seem to not be coming around. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails First post and need help!!-img_20131025_121928.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer might be nocturnal. Did you try rattling any antlers? If you hunt in a treestand, tie a six inch string between the two antlers. I drill a small string hole near each base of the antler. Tie a camo string in the middle of the antler string, and lower the set of antlers down to ground level. Just shake the string up an down too make the antlers clash together.

The buck expects the buck fight to be on the ground...not in your treestand. If the buck loses interest and starts to walk away --- just tick the antlers together a little bit --- and he'll probably stop walking away momentarily for you to get off a possible shot.

Hunt three days before the main rut kicks in...an 3 days after. The height of the main rut in Maryland is November 13. It's hard to stop a running buck that is chasing a hot doe on the 13th; but it is possible. Give him a loud grunt with your mouth an vocal cords.

One morning...in one of my bygone hunting area's, I rattled in 9 bucks; just before the main rut.

I like to rattle antlers starting around October 21. You can also rattle in hot does that are looking for a stud. I even had a doe and a yearling plunge in a lake that they swam across for about 100 yards --- ran up the bank --- and about 50 yards, to within 10 yards of my treestand; after my rattlin session.

Last edited by Erno86; 10-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Spike

I haven't thought about rattling. Good idea. I have only been meeting out doe bleats every hour or so. Thanks for your help. I will give it a shot Sunday evening when I get to my stand.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

could use a map that show more surrounding area.

If that creek is hard to cross everywhere but where the yellow lines come through that is where I would be.

Last edited by rockport; 10-25-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like someone has walked around the area to much and made his self known. Am I close?

Also what you wind?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Throw a pile of corn on the ground and set up your camera. Even though you have the food plot you may draw something up.

We all know how bait works. I hunt 550 acres of prime farm land in Huron County Michigan...If I dump 2 gallons of corn on the ground the deer will be there. Its simple for them,
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Spike

Unfortunately I have done a fair amount of walking and scouting. The wind comes in on the right and goes left(towards house). And the Creek is very rough in spots but the heavy traffic is on the sand bar where the lines meet. Also...about the corn.....I have at least 200 lbs I keep out nearly year round except for turkey season. I have a special Mix I use that makes the deer go crazy. Well...usually. I get grape koolaid and sprinkle it on my corn. The corn is usually gone in roughly a month or so normally bit this year is different. Only raccoons possums and a TON of coyotes are eating it.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd moved the x'd stand to the new red dot. The x'd stand is in the wrong wind.

First post and need help!!-img_20131025_121928.jpg
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

coyotes, there is part of it, ya shooting the yotes?
RR
Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Spike

You might want to try a grunt call also. I have been out twice this week and grunted in 4 bucks total. I enter the woods and approach the thick bedding areas, find a comfortable place to sit where I can be perfectly still, then get on the grunt. Low, quiet like grunts seem to be working the best right now. Two of the bucks approached within 30 yds and they just stare at me for a good 4-5 min. I kept the low grunt going and these two gave me shots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.