Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bow Poundage Question for white tails >

Bow Poundage Question for white tails

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Poundage Question for white tails

Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

KE= mass(arrow weight)x speed x speed divided by 450240.

ok here we go again! this is how youfigure out the kinetic energy of you're arrow. first you need to know the speed of the arrow. then you have to know the weight. here is the formula for figureing out the kinetic energy of you're bow&arrow.MULTIPLY SPEED X SPEED XWEIGHT DIVIDED BY 450240. HERE IS AN EXAMPLE 260FPS X 260FPS X415ARROW WEIGHT EQUALS 62.30 FT LBS OF KINETIC ENERGY OF THAT ARROW. HOPE THIS HELPS ALSO THIS WILL HELP YOU IN PICKING OUT THE BROADHEAD TO SHOOT ALSO. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT 65FT LBS OF KINETIC ENERGY BE USED ON MECHANICAL BROAD HEADS OR HIGHER THAN 65FT LBS.GOOD LUCK. JIM

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ke.html
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly 60-62lbs on a compound is plenty for deer...at 50yds...if you are good enough to make the shot at that distance. A faster arrow doesn't kill a deer any faster than a well placed shot...plus remember you wont be holding the 60lbs, typically the new bows are 75%-80% let off...I shoot a 60lb and I have shoulder issues. I shoot til I get tired and if it starts hurting I quit for the day...
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

I absolutely agree with what others have said - lower poundage will help ensure a longer archery life for you, with today's bows you don't need a huge draw weight to get the velocity (and therefore KE suggested), and try to keep your shots as short as possible.

Both my shoulders have had surgery and are OK but not near as good as they once were. I use a 10 year old bow with 60 lb limbs for hunting (shooting at 58), and the arrows pass completely through the majority of the time; lots of KE.

The thing is, muscles can be built to withstand hard use and repair themselves if necessary, but once tendons are torn they stay forever damaged. Treat your shoulders well and they'll last much longer.

BTW, the vast majority of my shooting is done with my target bow at 48 lb.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dougvarrieur
I'm shooting 350 grain Gold Tip Hunter Carbons 7595. I can't seem to find the ft pounds at the Elite site but the fps at 28" on the 60 pound bow is about 303 with my shafts...I wonder how to figure ft pounds of kinetic energy...anyone know?
The spine on those arrows won't be right @ 50lbs and it won't be right at 60lbs either unless the arrows are 29" or longer.

For 50 lbs you need the hunter 5575 arrow. If your shooting a 28" arrow the 5575 will work at 50-60 lbs.

http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I killed them with a 45 pound Bear recurve in the '60...

I killed them with a Bear Whitetail compound set at 55 pounds in the 70s and 80s...

I currently use a '90s model Mountaineer that I bought in the early '90s set at 60 pounds...

I'm 58, 6ft 5 and 240...I can't imagine trying to hunt with a 70 pound compound...
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Spike

Hi all, thanks for all the comments. I've decided to keep the 70 pound Elite Hunter dialed back to 60 pounds. I went back to the dealer yesterday and we discussed it. The hunter has such a smooth draw and long valley when it's dialed to 60 it "feels" like you're drawing about 55 pounds, the let off is 80% so when at the back wall you're only holding 12 pounds. I overdid it day one with my first compound... 40-50 shafts. Different form, different anchor, different type of draw, different type of release, different muscles all play a factor explained my dealer. He's a national tournament shooter and shoots the same bow. I love the ow and the next day at the dealership I fired it a dozen or so times after we installed a specialty archery brand verifier peep. The shoulder feels better and I'm going to slowly train it every other day. By the way the verifier peep is freakin awesome! The pins on my sight were all star bursting and melding together. They clear up crystal clear with his peep and a #5 lens. I still wear m glasses looking through the peep and although the target isn't as clear now it's plenty clear to make accurate shots.